General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 Seville.. E041.. Hall Effect Switch / Camshaft Position Sensor NEED HELP(Thanks)

Old 02-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Default 1990 Seville.. E041.. Hall Effect Switch / Camshaft Position Sensor NEED HELP(Thanks)

It dogs out just for a half of a second when I'm taking off from a light, especially if I jump on it.. also, the mileage is under 10mpg, according to the DIC, and it's pretty darned close to my estimation.. I'm around 8-10mpg, here.. no matter how I baby the pedal.. there's no stalling, no hard starting, and it ONLY stumbles when I first take off from a dead stop or when I rev it up while sitting.

It's been throwing the 041 for a couple of months ago and at first if I revved it up it'd go away (the service engine light would actually go on and off with the problem!) so I am assuming that it's unlikely for there to be a bad connection.. Wires seem fine.. And revving it, even in a way that wouldn't rock the motor back, use to cure the problem. Pretty sure to be the sensor itself, right?? (I also wiggled the wires and checked the harnesses and it doesn't shut the light off)

So I'd like to know how to change this thing.. I've read about 100 pages about this issue, people talk about replacing it but they're fairly vague about how to do it... after I take the rotor off, I still can't get to it, tried with box ends but they're too long..

Will that "plate" at the top of the distributor come off some how? I'm wondering if a nut driver with a wobble would help me get at it? Do they still make box ends with L shaped ends on them? That'd be perfect..

Also I'd like to know if the Hall Switch is dependent on the ICM, because, it seems to me that the ICM replacement caused the 041... I stalled out and had to replace the ICM (right next to the CPS) and that got me going but I do believe I've had the E041 since... they tested the module for me, and it's supposedly fine.. . . Could the ICM have taken the CPS with it when it went out, somehow???

I'd appreciate any help you can give me!!
If yall need any caddy parts, just let me know, for example I bought the hall switch for $10 and he gave me a new looking cap/rotor for another $5...

By the way, this takes the cake, but last month I cleaned the motor all out... seafoam in vacuum lines, down the intake, through the fuel tank, used regular intake cleaner... the whole bit... It had NO effect... but I did the same thing again last night, and added some HEET alcohol to the fuel, and it doesn't stumble nearly as badly on takeoff... I know the alcohol didn't do it, because it wasn't in there at that point, What the heck???

Thanks!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by 90seville
It dogs out just for a half of a second when I'm taking off from a light, especially if I jump on it.. also, the mileage is under 10mpg, according to the DIC, and it's pretty darned close to my estimation.. I'm around 8-10mpg, here.. no matter how I baby the pedal.. there's no stalling, no hard starting, and it ONLY stumbles when I first take off from a dead stop or when I rev it up while sitting.

It's been throwing the 041 for a couple of months ago and at first if I revved it up it'd go away (the service engine light would actually go on and off with the problem!) so I am assuming that it's unlikely for there to be a bad connection.. Wires seem fine.. And revving it, even in a way that wouldn't rock the motor back, use to cure the problem. Pretty sure to be the sensor itself, right?? (I also wiggled the wires and checked the harnesses and it doesn't shut the light off)

So I'd like to know how to change this thing.. I've read about 100 pages about this issue, people talk about replacing it but they're fairly vague about how to do it... after I take the rotor off, I still can't get to it, tried with box ends but they're too long..

Will that "plate" at the top of the distributor come off some how? I'm wondering if a nut driver with a wobble would help me get at it? Do they still make box ends with L shaped ends on them? That'd be perfect..

Also I'd like to know if the Hall Switch is dependent on the ICM, because, it seems to me that the ICM replacement caused the 041... I stalled out and had to replace the ICM (right next to the CPS) and that got me going but I do believe I've had the E041 since... they tested the module for me, and it's supposedly fine.. . . Could the ICM have taken the CPS with it when it went out, somehow???

I'd appreciate any help you can give me!!
If yall need any caddy parts, just let me know, for example I bought the hall switch for $10 and he gave me a new looking cap/rotor for another $5...

By the way, this takes the cake, but last month I cleaned the motor all out... seafoam in vacuum lines, down the intake, through the fuel tank, used regular intake cleaner... the whole bit... It had NO effect... but I did the same thing again last night, and added some HEET alcohol to the fuel, and it doesn't stumble nearly as badly on takeoff... I know the alcohol didn't do it, because it wasn't in there at that point, What the heck???

Thanks!!!!!!

Well, I managed to break the already broken... The hall switch I bought ended up falling apart in my hands, but the bad news is, when I was putting everything back together, the hot wire from the dist. cap got pinched and burned up.. I replaced it, and it burned again for no apparent reason.. I replaced it again and it still won't start..

I had changed the ICM and the Dist cap.. wouldn't even try to run when cranking.. changed them back.. it kind of tries to run and blows the "E.C.M" fuse....

Any ideas would be appreciated!! Did I mention that I managed to mix the firing order up?? I've taken wires off 100 times without issue, you know, 1-2 at a time, never done that before..... found a diagram and firing order online and have it all right again, now..

When I burned that wire up... what else could have burned up with it? Switched back to the old distributor, so pretty sure I have a good coil pack..