General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'05 CTS, Key won't turn to cut the power off to the car and it won't come out ...

Old 06-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default '05 CTS, Key won't turn to cut the power off to the car and it won't come out ...

Originally Posted by ashleyrae85
My brother who I call (Big Al) is about to be home after being away for 4 months and he left his 2005 Cadillac CTS at my moms (she lives next door) so she could keep an eye on it. The cover blew off and so she got it out this weekend to wash it for him to put the cover back on. Long story short... she went to put the key in it to park it back down in its "hiding spot" and boom we have a problem. We cant get the car to start. The radio comes on the key turns but it won't start. Figured maybe the battery was weak so went to turn the power off and take the key out... Key won't turn enough to cut the power off to the car and it def. won't come out of the ignition. My father passed away 3 yrs ago and he was an amazing mechanic but no longer have him around and the cadillac dealerships have closed in hickory,nc... And I tried to post a question on this website but can't figure it out and maybe thats b/c I am too rushed to think straight bc the car is sitting down there with the power on and surely the battery will be dead soon... I have tried jerking the steering wheel and turning the key at the same time. I can't get it out of park (which is understandable bc the car wont crank). But not being able to get the key to turn all the way for the power of the car to be off is blowing my mind. Ive had cars where the key stuck and it needed a new mechanism... but I don't think this is the same. You can turn it all the way to where it would crank. But it doesn't crank. But you can get the key to turn all the way back to pull out. Please help me. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Ashley-Rae

Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

bump ...