General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'03 CTS Transmission Oil or Power Steering Oil Leak?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Default '03 CTS Transmission Oil or Power Steering Oil Leak?

Every day there is a very small drop of a dark orange oily substance on my garage floor, but I can't tell if this is power steering fluid or transmission fluid. I can't tell by getting under my car. It is easy to check the power steering level, but the leak is so small that I don't notice the level decreasing if that is what it is. I also put Lucas Stop Leak in it, but still see the spot on my garage floor.

The transmission is sealed, so there is no way of checking the level. How do I tell if it is transmission fluid or power steering fluid that is leaking? The onboard computer is reading "transmission fluid 100%". Does that just tell you if the transmission fluid is dirty, or will it tell you if the level is low also?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Default Fluid colors

Dexron-III ATF automatic transaxle fluid like in my Seville or the transmission fluid in my girlfriends Blazer is bright red.
Power steering fluid is a reddish or pinkish color, but i also seen it amber and light brown.
As far as the orange color it could be windshield washing fluid, i was just at parts store and got some, could also be antifreeze. Orange antifreezes are good for 5 years or 100,000 to 150,000 miles in newer vehicles, 1996 and later.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Randy Trets
Dexron-III ATF automatic transaxle fluid like in my Seville or the transmission fluid in my girlfriends Blazer is bright red.
Power steering fluid is a reddish or pinkish color, but i also seen it amber and light brown.
As far as the orange color it could be windshield washing fluid, i was just at parts store and got some, could also be antifreeze. Orange antifreezes are good for 5 years or 100,000 to 150,000 miles in newer vehicles, 1996 and later.
Looking at the position of the leak on the ground, I don't think now it is the power steering fluid. The leak is basically in the center of my car but a little towards the passenger side about even with the back side of my front tire. I also don't think it is coolant because my coolant is not oily. This is oily between my fingers and orange.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:43 PM

what u need to do is put dye in the power steering fluid and check it with a black light.

coolant leak could feel oily if makes contact with other engine parts on the way down
you may be able to feel along the inside of the passenger side check rad hose and follow the pipe back maybe u get lucky and find it

if u had a pressure tester u could check the coolant

i am assuming this is an automatic tranny
if u use a white trap on the ground u may be able to see the colour of the leaking without any change to it this may be the best way to start

Old 02-13-2011, 07:11 PM

it may be an axle seal leaking