FAQ Frequenly Asked Technical Questions. This section is read only, and posts are made by the staff. If you have something to contribute contact any moderator.

1998 STS PROBLEMS and K&W nanotechnology permanent head gasket and block repair

Old 05-05-2011, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by coupedeville
I have a 1998 STS with the northstar motor with 120,000 miles. The car runs great except for a couple of things. My problem is what everyone else with this car is experiencing it is overheating. It does not do it all the time. I have read all the posts here and on other forums and have some of the same symptoms but not the same as my problem. I drive the car daily. There is no oil in the coolant no coolant in the oil, no white smoke. no coolant leak. I recently flushed the coolant and changed the thermostat. I ordered a northstar waterpump removal tool so Ican check the impeller.
MY PROBLEM-If I leave the heater on at 80 degrees and 3 of 5 blowing, it will not overheat. If the heat is off and the temp gauge jumps I can usually turn the heat on to 90 and to full range of blowing 5 of 5 and the gauge will drop to the normal level. occasionally the gauge will jump from normal to 3/4 to hot and the usual lights come on and tell me to idle the engine. A couple times I was on the freeway and when this occurred it took me a few miles to get to a place to pull off and by the time I got there the temp was going down. When I pull over and give it 10-15 min. to cool down it will go back to the normal temp reading and I can drive another 100 or so miles home with no problems. Can anyone help me here it is driving me crazy. I would take it to the dealer but it does not do it all the time and I don't want to pay them to drive it around and wait for it to overheat or troubleshoot things I have fixed or have already checked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mod edit title
Check this. It may work on your STS. check temp switch and fan and relay for fuse. You can find that relay under the bonnet.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Default over heating sts

I have a 1997 STS which is over heating and looses coolent rather quickly. I have checked things out and as far as I can see I have a leak between the cooling system and the exhuast system (no oil in the coolent, no coolent in the oil, some white smoke). because of the age of the car I don't want to spend too much fixing this but would like to keep it going if I can so I am looking at fixing this myself. As a result I have two related questions 1) can you determine which head is causing the problem?? 2) can one fix the problem without removing the powertrain?? And as final is this a reasonable thing to udertake or should I just cut my loses onand move on??

Old 03-05-2016, 06:34 PM

What is your temp ? 225 is normal range for northstar engines

Old 05-28-2016, 09:18 AM

Lenny has a lot of good points...my inlaws 99 sts had same symptoms..head gasket was bad...find someone that has a coolant pressure tester and check there first..stop throwing good money after bad...