Northstar misfire weird

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Default So

Originally Posted by slowroll
You could add 5-8 gallons of fuel and see if it corrects condition.
I checked fuel pressure and it was at 60psi. Haven't done it down road but I let it run for about 3 minutes. When I unhooked tester the Schrader valve stuck and it depressurized the line. It had a ton of air in it. I have no idea h own with a 3/4 tank of fuel this could happen

Old 03-05-2017, 06:39 PM
Tech Certified Members

Are you sure gauge reads psi and not kpa. 60 psi is too high. running should be around 36psi. When you turn key on pressure typically is 40-45 and will drop around 5-8 psi when engine starts. You could a have problem with fuel regulator or restriction in return line.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by slowroll
Are you sure gauge reads psi and not kpa. 60 psi is too high. running should be around 36psi. When you turn key on pressure typically is 40-45 and will drop around 5-8 psi when engine starts. You could a have problem with fuel regulator or restriction in return line.
I did discover some stuff today. The psI driveing is 60 and after driving a little it's 50psi and no lower. I found coil three bolt holding it down was 1 full turn loose and I don't see that being an issue that high rpm miss has gone away now. I do however still have miss at idle. It gives p0308 and p0300 and when backing out of driveway it have p0019 and when it have that it stumbled pretty hard. I left fuel pressure gauge on all day and when I got home 30min later I checked to see if it dropped and it went down to 15psi in that time frame. I suspect bad injectors sticking. I checked vacuum and have 15 inhg vac but the needle jumps a little to match the skip within a pound. I'm assuking just cause of the skip. I hooked to the vac line going to booster and when I rev it lightly the vac jumps to 20 and shakes the needle around 3psi either way. I really appreciate the help.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Riceboyz28
I did discover some stuff today. The psI driveing is 60 and after driving a little it's 50psi and no lower. I found coil three bolt holding it down was 1 full turn loose and I don't see that being an issue that high rpm miss has gone away now. I do however still have miss at idle. It gives p0308 and p0300 and when backing out of driveway it have p0019 and when it have that it stumbled pretty hard. I left fuel pressure gauge on all day and when I got home 30min later I checked to see if it dropped and it went down to 15psi in that time frame. I suspect bad injectors sticking. I checked vacuum and have 15 inhg vac but the needle jumps a little to match the skip within a pound. I'm assuking just cause of the skip. I hooked to the vac line going to booster and when I rev it lightly the vac jumps to 20 and shakes the needle around 3psi either way. I really appreciate the help.
I'm pretty sure of ly light acceleration rise in cave is normal. But I also don't seem to have vac going to the purge solenoid on the throttle body. And I'm still nervous the fuel is aerated even though it makes no sense. And it's only the one fuel line so a returnless system so I see a little regulator on the rail but no vac to it so not sure how it's CoControlling fuel pressure

Old 03-06-2017, 04:38 PM
Tech Certified Members

The regulator in this case would be with fuel pump. At this point I would either get a FSM disc from helm inc or subscribe to Alldata for service information. GM stopped using printed service manuals in 2000-01 depending on carline and went to online service manuals.