96 Deville Harmonic balancer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Default 96 Deville Harmonic balancer replacement

96 Deville/4.6 Northstar
After eating 3 belts, I replaced the belt tensioner and idler and noticed the harmonic balancer appeared to be out of line with the pulleys on the top side. Evidently the rubber is seperating between the inner and outer steel sections. The grooved area where the belt rides has moved outward about 1/4" resulting in the loss of that much on the inside of the belt.
Anyway, it's the harmonic balancer and I would like to know the replacement procedure. I have a new balancer.
Do I have to lower the engine sub-frame to do this or is there enough room to slide the old one out and get the new one in? Also, is the bolt a right or left hand thread and is there anything else that should be replaced when I do this? Oh, yeah.....do I need to use a pulley puller, warm it up with a torchor will a huge hammer do the trick?
Input is appreciated.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 96 Deville Harmonic balancer replacement

Unfortunately this is no sbc then all could apply.Yes, you will have to lower sub-frame.You will need three jaw puller,the tool places calls it a 5 ton due to span.There is no key way,oil pump is not key wayed either it is driven by pressure by the"clamping force" of the bolt so bolt torque is important,and a bolt angle devise in necessary to do it right.So remove bolt and balancer. If you don't have balancer installer gently tap balancer if necessary til bolt starts then let bolt pull balancer on, then tighten to spec.NOTE: make sure not to damage threads at snout of crankshaft,if you do life is going to s__k trying to fix it without a new new crank. Hope it helps

Old 10-07-2007, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the info.............
I'm just a stoopid Texan and I don't know for sure what you mean by a "bolt angle devise"...........
Is that a break-over bar or handle with a socket on it?
Also, is the bolt left or right hand threads and do you recall the torque specs for that bolt?
Thanks again.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Tech Certified Members

Bolt has standard or right hand threads, If you will need something to stop engine from spinning backwards. 1/2 inch air or electric impact might be the ticket.Hope it helps

Old 10-20-2007, 01:57 PM

Does anyone have the torque tightening specs for the harmonic balancer bolt?

Old 10-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Tech Certified Members

37ft-lb then and additional 120 degrees.In other words tighten bolt to 37 ft-lbs the get your breaker with the pipe on it and crank it another third of turn.You can use a crayon or chalk to mark bolt , balancer, and cover to sure its tight enough.A little backwoods humor.Hope it helps

Old 10-26-2007, 07:50 AM

Understanding what is said here, I am into a leak in this area now. I find that I am getting some type of oil slinging from the balancer so first thing I suspect is a timing cover seal? I had first traced the leak around the power steering hose but upon cleaning them well and running motor , I notice that little oil spots begin to appear on the hose. I make a cardboard shroud to shield the hose and thats when I noticed the oil slinging off the only think spinning, the balancer. I spoke to service dept at local Caddy dealer, and they mentioned that motor frame would have to be lowered for this. So in all, the only other question is, what other sources in this area would this leak come from. This is a 99' Eldo with 97K on it. Appreciate your comments.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Certified Members

Is leak on inside or outside of balancer. Leak from outside of balancer: remove bolt, clean surfaces then rtv front of balancer and reinstall bolt. From inside of balancer may require seal saver sleeve or new balancer

Old 11-05-2007, 05:21 PM

Finally got around to replacing the harmonic balancer on the 96 DeVille......
It was about ready to seperate........good thing I did it.
Actually, I did it because I was convinced my wife really would attempt to murder me if I kept putting it off............
Not as big a deal as I thought it would be. Took about 4 hrs. actual work time. I have no idea what a garage or dealership would charge. The balancer cost me about $45plus $28for a newbelt.
Thanks, guys for your input.
Does anyone happen to know where the dang radiator drain **** is?????????
And what do I have to remove to get to it??
Thanks

Old 11-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Tech Certified Members

Drain **** is located on drivers side tank, on the engine side at the bottom. Its kinda of a pain to get to, you will feel it somewhat recessed into tank. It is about 1" dia.with a flat part in the middle you turn to loosen it.

Quick Reply: 96 Deville Harmonic balancer replacement