88' Brougham D'elagance problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Default 88' Brougham D'elagance problems

1988 Brougham D'elagance, just bought it form old guy and it sat for a couple yr's (he didnt start it till i got it) and i drove it home (only 5min drive) and it stalled a couple times when i braked... but i let it sit for about 1 week and went to start it up N it had some trouble then when it started it was really rough but ended up smoothin up a little.. what i need help with is, it's smoking REALLY badly DARK DARK black and i let it idle N revved it a couple times n drive it for about 30min( it some what stopped) but when i stepped on it , it would be clear then would turn dark black.. im not sure what is wrong if anyone has an idea it would REALLY help THANK YOU

Old 10-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 88' Brougham D'elagance problems

Hey Mrkline::: I have the 1981 Brougham D'Elegance and had a similar problem when I bought it. It belonged to an old guy that for the most part neglected it. When I drove it home it had black smoke and ran real rough, but with a lot of perserverance it runs great now. The ECM controls all the sensors that are a function of the fuel metering. If the ECM is not relaying the signals to the sensors then they pretty much do what the hell they want. I changed the ECM and got rid of most of the problems and replacing some of the sensors got rid of the rest. You can get a reconditioned ECM for about $150.00 and then you know your not going to be beating your head against the wall looking for other things. The prom chip in the ECM is the one that controls all the engine functions and could possible be the problem on it's own. When you get your new ECM (if you do) then be very careful when you pull out the prom and calpac chips because the have to go into the new ECM as mine didn't come with these two chips. It's not that difficult, you just have to take care because the chips have a lot of small pin connectors that you cannot bend when you reinstall them. Hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK. Don.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:56 PM

Thanks Don!! where did u get the ECM at, could i find it on Ebay or sumthing??? thanks for the help.. yea i think it was REALLY neglected it only has like 35,000 on it N the interior was REALLY good but the engine is just poopy.. im gonna clean it out N see if oil is leakin from newhere also cause theres exessive oil on the block but thanks for the help!

Old 10-22-2006, 11:55 PM
Tech Certified Members

Hey MRK : Sorry I took so long to reply but I have been out of town. I got my ECM from the parts jobber. In my town it's called Lordco but I think NAPA handles most of the same stuff. Did you manage to get you ride running any better??? Do you have the Caddy engine in yours or the OLDS. one. One was a 273 and I think the other was a 307. Are you happy with the horsepower of you car? Chow.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:13 PM

NAPA shouldhave them? i havnt got it running nebetter still smoking A LOT, what all did u have fixed on it besides the ECM? umm its the 5.0Liter i think the Cadillac, im happy with pretty much everything about the car besides the smok problem.. but i hope i can fix it. and thanks for the help

Old 10-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Tech Certified Members

Hey Mrk: Was just curious if you managed to get your motor running the way you wanted yet. Nice to here the feedback part of this forum so that you know if the info helped out or not. I'm sure that you enjoy your ride anyway. Chow for now.