Collections Is your hobby more of a collection than a project? Let's see it!

Weapons

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator
Old 05-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)
Default RE: Weapons

As a Ohio Realtor, I will go visit any property on any phone inquiry that I get in an attempt to find a client to work with. Sometimes it gets me in situations that I wish I wasn't. Notimes am I w/o my AMT .380 (of course only since our convicted ex-gov signed concealed carry laws.)
My AMT .22 isn't worth much but target practice. and AMT .45 takes two hands and then some but very concealable. Funny how we collect stuff! Currently looking for a AMT .40

Zin just what is the scoop on pilots carrying?

Old 05-01-2007, 10:23 AM

Only as concerns American Air Lines but I would imagine also with many American certified carriers.
A pilot may carry a hand gun as long as he will go through this procedure. First, the normal backround checks.
Next the perchase of a recommended pistol. I believe several models are listed. (At own expense.)
Then off to Roswell N.M. for a weeks training (On your own unpaid time. And the cost of training rests with pilot) Training in shooting and martial arts.
You can then carry. (anywhere in the world)
There is a lockbox in every aircraft cockpit
There is a lockbox in every operations center so gun can be left at airport on layovers. (Or not. common sense dictates.)
Pilot has to return to Roswell every six months for a days training at pilots expense.

Even with all these restrictions I believe the last number I was quoted indicated that about 30% are now carrying.
The rest of the crews and those folks in operations love it.
The Flight Attendents feel more secure than they are with the occassional Air Marshall.
And I personally would like to see more participation by the "frugal" pilot group with more financial backing from the company who are hesitant about stepping on Homeland Securities toes. (They think it infringes on their air marshal program) (And they really "don't like it".)
I would suggest it beats to hell a, program that put's an armed "wanta be cop with a gun on my airplane."
When I first started with American AirLines quite a few of the old timers still carried a hand gun in their flight kits. It was required to have an armed pilot during the days when the airlines were granted the right to carry air mail. (and they did so through the mid forties. Any where and any place)That restriction dissappeared with the DC3. (And when the mail ceased to be "holy.")
One interesting note. Even the "old timers" who still had their gun permits were restricted from carrying back around the late forties when a DC6 Captain shot a guy who got into the cockpit on the ground in Cleveland and wanted the crew to take him to I believe Toledo. The guy was over six feet tall and weighed over 250 pounds but was found to be only fourteen years old after the shooting.
No more guns on American Airlines till now.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

does this one count?

[IMG]local://upfiles/2893/28A78652AAB84DDBA8B9CB40194C54D5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

does this one count?

[IMG]local://upfiles/2893/28A78652AAB84DDBA8B9CB40194C54D5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2007, 10:03 AM

Better tie it down before you shoot it!

Old 07-09-2007, 05:35 AM

Well, I have one picture of a gun of mine that I'm shooting. The rest are either too big, or too grainy to see how great they really are. They are all listed below however.

Mosin Nagant M38, Mosin Nagant M44, SKS Carbine
M1 Carbine, Steyr M95, Enfield No1 Mk IV, CAR-15, AK-47
Browning M1919A6, Uzi, Anschutz .22 LR, VZ-24, Beretta CX4 Carbine
Beretta 92FS, Springfield 1911, Springfield XD, Rossi .357
CZ-52, Walther P-38, Nagant M1895, Ruger .22
Fox BSE, Schmidt K-31, Mossberg 500 (Riot shotgun)
Unknown .22 Tube Fed

Some of the guns were given to me, and I don't know the model number or name. So if the list seems vague, that's why. I really have no idea on some of them.

By the way I live in Washington, and am stationed in Georgia. Neither have very high restrictions on firearms. In GA there's not even a waiting period on handguns... go in, background check, credit card, shake hands, leave... That simple. I have a CWP for GA and am in the process of applying for my WA CWP.Great stuff.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3167/C594EF9F74E24D9EA321C56ADA90DD39.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

given to you? you got some good friends / family.

email me pics of the ones you would like to ID. I got a friend that
eats, sleeps and breathes weapons .. of all places, in GA.

if i may ask, what are we flying this year over the sands?
did you pick up any "used" lead or vintage weapons parts there?
I hear there is some of that coming through.

if i may suggest, easy up on the left hand. you will bring the pattern
on the bull's eye maybe another inch of two which is great for snipping.
good to see you with earplugs, but do you also wear earmuffs ?

------------------------------------------

in my beat we did the B52, KC135, F4
sadly, my overseas weapons collection got confiscated
hey, i got to hold them for awhile!

Old 07-09-2007, 03:38 PM

The weapons that were given to me were inherited...

I can't send you any pictures of them because they are all in WA right now. I'll see if I can get my dad to take a picture of them specifically and send them over.

I only flew over Iraq, we didn't actually land there. We were based at an FOB in Southwest Asia. (Qatar) So I wasn't able to get ahold of any weapon parts... let alone see one.

I myself fly on the E-8C Joint STARS platform... it's hard to explain so you might just go to wikipedia and look it up, but aside from that we have a massive array of aircraft over there. F-16, F-15, RJ-135, AC-130 gunships, E-2C Hawkeye, F/A-18C's, KC-135's, C-130's, B-1 Lancers, F-22's. Sometimes we'd see E6B prowlers around, but rarely. We also controled AH-64 Apache gunships, OH-58D Kiowa's, UH/HH/MH-60 Blackhawks, and CH-47 Chinooks. Aside from that, our coalition allies are helping us with GR-4 Tornadoes, Mirages, various tankers, and sensor platforms. We own the skies, hard.

Despite what the picture may mislead you to believe, I wasn't actually trying to aim. I was just emptying the clip. I rarely target shoot my rifles, usually I'm more proficient with the pistols. I don't wear earmuffs. The plugs are usually good enough for me.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

E8-C vs AWACS, not sure which is better at what, but at one point both
Boeing and Northrop were under my scrutiny in the missile biz.

at any case, the offer to ID the weapons stands.

if you ever around Wright-Patterson AFB, stop at any cost - it si a life experience.
CLICK: USAF MUSEUM

go here, run down to #42 and you will see my babies .. the Mk.21 RVs
CLICK: http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_lau/peacekeeper.htm] PEACEKEEPER [/URL]
i dont know if #1 to #41 remain classified.

the stories i got to tell the day the program is totally declasssified. the stories ..
until then it is superglue for my lips!