Cadillac XTS The new flagship brings more luxury, power and fuel economy to the Cadillac brand.

Oil Change Frequency

Old 07-25-2016, 09:56 AM
Default Oil Change Frequency

Just purchased a 2016 XTS which includes pre-paid oil changes for the next two years. Dealer and the Owners Manual tells me to wait till I get the "Change Oil Soon" message on the DIC before taking advantage of the "free" oil change.

Now I can see where waiting till the Message appears before having the oil changed will save GM / Cadillac money I am concerned that waiting till the odometer reads 6 to 8 thousand miles before having the first oil change can put the long term life of the engine at needless risk which if a problem occurs will cost me a ton of cash..

Recently purchased a new Corvette with up to 4 oil changes in a 2 year period which seems just about right and lets me decide when to take advantage of this when ever I choose.

So folks, does anyone out there have any experience in this area? Can I insist that my Dealer change the oil at a mileage level that I desire?

Old 07-25-2016, 12:57 PM
Tech Certified Members

Generally when oil life is less 10% or less it's time for oil change. It can vary a little between dealers. Your relationship with your dealer may allow for some flexibility, but GM is paying the bill. If dealer chooses to comp you doing oil changes more often than required; that would be another matter. GM has been doing the" oil life "maintenance since 04. It is dependent on using correct oil. The computer will not know wrong oil was installed and damage can occur.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:48 AM

GM gave me 4yr. maintainance on my new 2016. I was told as soon as it hits 20% oil life,
To come in. My car has 450 miles on it, and it shows 94%. So I'm expecting they don't over extend the life of oil just to save$