Cadillac XLR The cutting edge luxury sports car offering the feel of a coupe or a roadster at the touch of a button

Hard Top Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 02:23 PM
Default Hard Top Issue

Hello guys it's me it's me it's Earnest T,
Not really but I need help again. Why are there so many issues with such a beautiful lovable machine? I'm starting to regret not buying the Prowler. Anyway you may recall that I was unable to raise the roof. After a week of studying and trying to raise it manually I took it into the dealer. This was a Monday by Thursday I was told that the mechanic could not raise it until I spent $700 replacing a hydraulic line of sorts. I said that's not true I may have to replace the line for it to function properly but in the meantime the manual says it can be raised manually why can't you do that? They said let me get back to you the next day I was told the Master Mechanic at the dealership would look into it. Two more days past and they said that he was able to do it no problem I picked the car up on a Friday evening I drove it home no freeways involved Monday morning at 5:30 a.m. as soon as I got off the ramp onto the highway and accelerated to 60 miles per hour it sounded like a pterodactyl was ripping at my roof scared the hell out of me after the sound went away I pulled over and discovered the hardtop portion of the roof was gone. It was too dark to see where it went. I contacted the dealer and the service advisor said that they would make it right but he needed me shop manager to look at it. I took the car and left it there another day and received a call from the shop manager. He told me that the mechanic did not mess with the top that the hydraulic problem was in the trunk and that the top is not sealed by any bolts of any type, that it was held on with some type of adhesive and that over the years Contracting back and forth by the Heat it becomes loose. I of course said that's crazy that I had driven the car from Washington DC where I purchased it 2 South Carolina and at least $2,000 additionally speeds up to a hundred and never had a problem until after they tried to raise the roof. It is my thinking but they loosen the cap with the inexperienced mechanic pulling and tugging on it trying to raise it manually prior to the expert getting it done. Needless to say a new cap is $2,200 plus paint matching plus installation. I have contacted my attorney who was in the process of contacting the dealer. My question to you within the Forum has anyone ever lost a roof and does anyone know exactly how it is attached. again it is only the hard person that matches the rest of the car the fabric portion and everything else underneath has not been damaged at all. Of course I can not drive it or leave it uncovered when it rains. My insurance company will cover it under comprehensive as an act of God without raising my rates but I think the dealership is responsible. Please let me know have the roof cap is secured and how can I prevent this from happening again once I have it repaired. Thank you

Old 12-31-2016, 09:58 PM
Tech Certified Members

The roof panel is held on with adhesive. If you google it this is not entirely uncommon. Once legal action is initiated the dealer will notify GM, then dealer is unlikely to do much. GM will normally let the legal process play out. Good luck

Old 05-06-2021, 08:38 PM

If your insurance will cover it then be happy. The "coincidence" of the panel coming off shortly after the top was serviced should be something te attorney can win hands down. Let us know how it turned out.