Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Serious Electrical - 99 Cadillac SLS. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Default Serious Electrical - 99 Cadillac SLS. Help?

I have a 99 Cadillac SLS with a serious electrical issue. It has been troubleshot to death, perhaps someone can offer some unique insight.

While driving, dash readout suddenly goes extra bright, the "traction control" and "security" lights will appear, the info readout will display any of the following randomly and sporatically from one second to the next...
  1. service air bags (always appears)
  2. service security system (always appears)
  3. speed limited to 90 mph (seldom, but does appear)
Gas gauge goes to Empty, and when it does this, the air conditioner stops blowing cold air. This can last anywhere from a couple seconds to 10 minutes, theres no rhyme or reason to it. When gas gauge needle goes back up, air goes back on, but does necessarily mean all other icons go back to normal. All errors are random.

Usually, but not always, when car starts going bonkers, windows will stop rolling up or down, and car will lock me in. This may or may not reset itself before the end of the car ride. I will sometimes have to restart the car in order for all features to reset and to exit the vehicle. Keyless entry may or may not reset itself.

I have had computers read the computer (radio) and replace modules in the car.... didnt fix problem... costed me hundreds of dollars

Has ANYONE had similar problems?

Old 08-26-2010, 11:02 AM

Sorry I can't help you with this one but it sounds like it's time to say good bye to your car. Sometimes these cars can become cash cows.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Tech Certified Members

i think i can help.... do you still have the car???

Old 10-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Certified Members

shoot.... this is right up my alley... lol sorry i didnt see sooner. check E-Ghosts, my post for help.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:15 AM

RickyD - hopefully you will read this - I gave up hope on this forum and all else but do still have the car... Ill try to find this post youre talking about

Old 03-31-2011, 02:40 AM

Sounds really nasty.You could always donate the car to the Blair Witch Project.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:20 AM
Tech Certified Members

Gee sure sounds like electrical issue I call E-Ghost is present.. )) if all interior electrics are going nuttzy in the 1999 Seville, chances are the Rear Integration Module......(RIM) is not doing what it should. All interior electronics pass thru the RIM. The RIM is located behind the passenger side rear seat back. It is a very simple change.. if no one has looked at this or changed this ........do it..!! I think it will take care of your E-Ghosts. Please let me know...))
Rickyd

Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 PM

Hi Ricky... What if I told you the RIM module has been replaced? A $900 Dealership job.

I'm curious if the other caddy owners with the same problem had anything after market installed in their cars or if everything was stock and untouched.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by misslunch
Hi Ricky... What if I told you the RIM module has been replaced? A $900 Dealership job.

I'm curious if the other caddy owners with the same problem had anything after market installed in their cars or if everything was stock and untouched.
do you have an auto start installed in your car??? and if so, was this mentioned before??? i didnt notice.. this could be your problem!!