Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Need Tech Help! NO HEAT!! 1998 Cadillac STS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need Tech Help! NO HEAT!!

ORIGINAL: MattyNJ

Ok so i read the FAQs section on E ghosts and codes....I went and pulled the codes, wrote down only 1, as i had no idea how to repeat the list and they read off very quiclky...b1343 / Air inlet door movement fault....

FYI the heat and fan ARE working today....go figure???!!

I decided to also reflash the car, buy disconnecting the batt cables, and leaving them dis conected for 20min as per the instructions in the FAQ thread....hoping this will re boot the electrical system errors????

Something tells me this is a moisture issue! under the back seat the carpet is very wet, i think the trunk or the sunroof is leaking.

Any other advice? Thanks for the help
until you figure out the leak / dampness / drains, take out the carpets before mold and electrolysis take their toll on your car.
in fact, take them out anyways, spray them with Lysol and kill any mold on them ASAP.

most cars have the moonroof drains running between the back window and the side window, then just behind the rear wheel, inside the 1/4 panel. yours is probably like that.

I say that by reading our FAQ section, you are a couple notches smarter about these cars. good going.

Now, make sure you buy a can of DIELECTRIC GREASE (you read about it in the e-ghosts thread) and use it on all connections .. its part of my tool box, right next to the BMFH !

Old 01-05-2009, 08:10 PM

ok so just so were clear, if the moon roof drains are clogged, the mnrf would leak?

also...if the fan stops working again, whats the next step? where is the motor wire connections located? so i can ck/grease them

Old 01-10-2009, 10:53 AM

***UPDATE***

the fan worked for a few days and now its dead again!!...I cant figure out for the life of me why this fan isnt working, Coolant is full, Whats the next step??? HELP!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Certified Members

If car has electric sunroof there is a drain in all 4 corners in pan which is a part sunroof module. Seal around sunroof glass is to detour water intrusion but not prevent it. As far as the the blower, Its located under right side of dash. Check 12v on purple wire and black wire for ground when blower is on high and condition is present.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 PM

Is the motor and wires visible under passenger side dash? or do i have to
remove something to see it?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: slowroll

If car has electric sunroof there is a drain in all 4 corners in pan which is a part sunroof module. Seal around sunroof glass is to detour water intrusion but not prevent it. As far as the the blower, Its located under right side of dash. Check 12v on purple wire and black wire for ground when blower is on high and condition is present.
ORIGINAL: MattyNJ

Is the motor and wires visible under passenger side dash? or do i have to
remove something to see it?
you need a manual .. they are but $30 - $60 .. great investment. get one ...

i dont know your car that well. but many Cads have the blower in the firewall. slowroll has directed you on the location ..

you have stated that the blower works fine when it works, so the likelihood of the blower being bad is minimal.

there is not much else we can do except wait to find out what YOU find once you get under the dash with a flashlight & an inspection mirror .. there is no magic to that .. we all do it .. get all twisted and crawl under the dash and search for the wires / connections. you are about to find out why electrical work is challenging and often, EXPENSIVE! Your body may also be sore for a few days, from the being twisted like a pretzel.

i would start by checking the harness connection to the blower, with a meter and make sure there is power there, ground is proper, etc.. follow what slowroll said.

most likely you got a bad connection or a cut wire somewhere
finding it is the $500 question
fixing it is the $0.50 solution.

OR ... take the emergency solution .. wire the blower direct .. let it blow air all the time .. until you have the time to fix it right? the key word here is "emergency" .. gotta keep the wife from freezing anyway you can ...

also, it really helps to have some info .. like where do you live ? Alaska? Florida? what is cold ?