Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Battery keeps going dead '99 STS

Old 07-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Default Battery keeps going dead '99 STS

Hi, I was just wondering if there was anyone out there with a parasitic draw that draws just enough juice to kill your battery @ night? I have a 99 STS and every night my battery goes dead, there isn't anything that isn't working properly, I just put a new AC Delco battery in it. But I also have another issue, Humidity in the trunk. I think that the trunk needs adjusting. I live in Michigan where it snows, I think Ice got up under the edge of the deck lid and pushed it up creating a gap for moisture to enter. I don't know if the humidity has anything to do with it, but I am hoping someone knows what could be eating the energy out of my battery. I work on cars, and understand how things work, but this one is stumping me. ANY HELP??

Old 07-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Battery keeps going dead '99 STS

Use an Ammeter. Put it inline with the neg battery cable.
Make sure everything is off, doors are closed and the key is out of the ignition.
Max draw after 15 minutes is 50mA.
Average is more like 15 - 25mA.
If the draw is much higher, start removing fuses until it drops down below 50mA.
Then trace the circuit that the fuse supplys power too.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Default RE: Battery keeps going dead '99 STS

Hey, Thanks alot, that surely saved me some time there. I hooked a ammeter inline and determined that my sound system was where the draw is coming from. I was getting a avg. of 57 MA draw untill I removed the audio fuse. My computer would time out after a couple of minutes then I could hear a relay click in the location of the amplifier. It seemed to try to power up every couple of minutes untill I removed the fuse. Was wondering if this was a problem youv'e seen before,or if you might know why. I also had another problem which I don't know if I fixed it or not, My trunk would gather condensation and I see a spot of corrosion on the circuit board(white spot) of the amp. Should I remove the amp and have a local electronics shop clean my board?? almost seems like it's the problem to me, but I am not a tech. Could you please give me your input