Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

2000 GM Cadillac STS 'SPEED LIMITED TO 145 K'(or 90 in the US) along with a blown fuse MESSAGE

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: STS 'SPEED LIMITED TO 145 K'(or 90 in the US) along with a blown fuse MESSAGE

ORIGINAL: Katzmans Caddy

I am standing by a wiring problem here.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:53 PM
sh
Default RE: STS 'SPEED LIMITED TO 145 K'(or 90 in the US) along with a blown fuse MESSAGE

Hi

Thanking you for your help in this matter. I am taking it into another gm dealer tomorrow morn. to see if they can find the problem. Hopefully it will not cost me to much more to find this problem. Either that or all these car dealerships are so bad and they just want to pretend not to know what is wrong so they can make money trying to find my problem.---------Could this be happening??????????????????

Old 03-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

I avoid the dealership. Even when I have warranty work I would save it up and put it on a list and then they would get so mad at me because the car had to stay for a few days. I think that bugs them because they have to give you transportation. They always tried to give me a Sunfire or Grand Am or something small like that and I put up a fuss. They finally rolled out the Jimmy. Whippy!

Anyway I think the people who work at the dealer are well qualifiedand decent folks. I think they have to work within an inefficent system that is too bureaucratic. My local mechanic of 12 years worked at a GM dealer for many years before going on his own and this is the reason I go to him. He knows the GM products inside out, he even displays the AC Delco sign and uses GM parts pretty much exclusively. He is well trained and he knows his stuff. He treats all my cars well but he gives a lot of respect to the Caddy, that's how he was trained. The difference is Keith and I are on a first name basis, I can call him anytime and he will talk to me, explain things and treat me like the neighbour I am. I think the dealership has lost a lot of this and then the service advisors are clearly trained in up selling you on everything. I really like it when they print on your invoice the fact that you denied some service they recommended. That is too rich. I'll take a factory or GM trained mechanic anyday.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Just a bit more from my last post. I also have a friend, actually my wifes' friend first through dog shows. Anyway he is a factory mechanic at Ford in St. Thomas, where they build the Police Interceptors and Mercury Marquis. His job is Post Production Detail and Repair. What this means is he gets cars that need repairs or special detailing after they are built. He gets cars with every problem you could imagine from a screw through a wiring harness to a car with a check engine light on, door seams not right, change a heater, you name it. He has no time limit on him, he just has to get it right. So this man works on Fords for 8 hours every day. He told me that his own Ford, a Windstar drives him nuts, so much so that he just takes it to the dealer for service. He says he's a bit embarrassed to do it but the guys know he is a mechanic at the factory so they talk to him and give him tips. The problem is he knows the Crown Vic and Marquis inside out but he doesn't know the Windstar and the dealer guys see Windstars all day long.

What I'm saying is the dealer guys here probably get tons of Grand Ams, Grand Prixs, Centurys but not that many Cadillacs so it is probably more difficult for them when they work on the car infrequently and don't know the systems as well.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Certified Members

Hey, I'm not real sure.....but, this has happened to me and my '99 sts. Not only speed limited to 90, but fuel gauge kicking out, then on, plus other readings shooting out......Anyway, simple fix that I found after spending close to $1500. was(I'll call it the second ground) under the rear seat. Not the one from the battery.... this one is on the other side of the car, and looks like it comes from behind the rear seat. I do believe it is also grounds something from the gas tank....Any event, all went back to normal, and all is well. Oh, wire brush not only the bolt REAL good, but the hole also. then coat it with something to keep moisture away from it.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:44 PM

I had this problem with my 98 STS. It started the day after the dealer replaced my water pump at 50k miles. The dealer said they could do no further troubleshooting until I replaced the strut. When that didn't fix it they replaced a computer module. That didn't fix it either, so they replaced a second computer module. That fixed the problem but it was expensive to replace two $1000 items that weren't broken. I wonder if it was just the computer that needed to be reset. Maybe the second computer module was fine too. I would disconnect the battery for a while before spending this much again.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Tech Certified Members

hey Katzman Caddy.... just reading through some stuff.... trying to learn from you guys 'bout my 99 seville sts.When your question, "Was the weather wet when this started." mad me chuckle..... at times my sts acts up, especilly after, when the night leaves a dew on the car. i can't help but think the moister is affecting a ground, and or a wire connection somewhere. its just with 15 or more grounds......where do i go?........well we'll get it some time....... soon i hope....
rickyd

Old 07-03-2017, 03:44 AM

Hello,

I'm having the same response, except my speed is limited to 80MPH. I just did a rear shock conversion because I couldn't afford the $2400 for the OEM rear shocks. But now it's showing a suspension issue in the DIC, and the speed is limited. I was told that I can purchase some kind of device that will bypass (or trick) the system, so that the codes and limitation will go away.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.