Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

2000 GM Cadillac STS 'SPEED LIMITED TO 145 K'(or 90 in the US) along with a blown fuse MESSAGE

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: STS 'SPEED LIMITED TO 145 K'(or 90 in the US) along with a blown fuse MESSAGE

I am standing by a wiring problem here. What part of Canada do you live in? Road salt and spray can really mess up electrical connections. Was the weather wet when this started?

Old 03-13-2007, 11:27 AM
sh
Default RE: STS 'SPEED LIMITED TO 145 K'(or 90 in the US) along with a blown fuse MESSAGE

Hi

I cannot remember if the roads were wet or not when the message came up. I live around Toronto. The mechanic also thinks it might be electrical, but he pulled the whole car apart and went thru all the electrical and could not find any problems, no corrision at all he said. He has spent 4-5 hours pulling the car apart trying to find the problem--but he only charged me for 2 hours I found out. Nice guy! But having said all that----I still do not know why I am having this problem--why my car is limiting my speed to 145k and why a fuse is blowing.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

I live in Toronto too and the weather has been absolutely aweful for almost two months now. It snowed almost every other day so there has been plenty of road salt and spray. The roads are totally crap, pot holes pitched and bumps everywhere from the severe weather conditions. Even the 401 by Hoggs Hollow, that is brutal. I was driving my daughter home from Schoolthe other night and I thought I knocked my front wheel off when I hit a pot hole close to home in Leaside. Man I hit it so hard I stopped checked the wheel and tire then checked my codes....nothing.

We know it is the front system from the codes so at least that is a help. Resetting the codes, how long until the code reappears? Last question, are these GM shocks or aftermarket?

Old 03-13-2007, 12:31 PM
sh

Hi

Yes it is the orginal shocks from GM on the car. I was away in Aruba with my daughter for the couple of weeks that we recently had the bad weather and my car sat in the garage and was not used for 2 weeks prior to March 5. Then the first time I took it out after coming home last week (March 5th) I put gas in it and left the gas station and that is when the message appeared for the first time. Next day I took it into the dearlership and the rest is history.

Thanks again for all your concern

Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Those shocks are costly but have you considered changing them? Seven years old now. Tell me what dealer it is so I can avoid going there. They should be on the phone to the GM tech guys and figuring this out. It is pretty standard to call GM tech when he comes accross a tough one.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:02 PM
sh

Hi

Yes I did think maybe it was the shocks right from the start, only because it seemed like the front shocks were not working right over the last year, but when I told the mechanic , he wanted to make sure that it was nothing else he said, because shocks were expensive and if he replaced those and the message still came up it would be very very costly. He did call GM and have them open up a file, he spoke to a tech guy there and this GM tech guy told my mechanic to replace the fuse he found blown and let me drive the car to see if it would happen again. So, this is where I am at. Now my mechanic is posting my problem on some type of board in hopes of getting more information from others.
It seems like my car is the only one that has ever had this problem-----seems very funny to me that no one can figure out this problem,
I will eventually take it to another mechanic if I do not resolve it soon. For now I am waiting to see if he gets any hits on my problem from some kind of board .

Old 03-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Now you have to wait and see, but don't let them forget you. Being limited to 145 KPH isn't really an
inconvenience but it is frustrating when your car is not right. We all know that feeeling.
Here is what the owner's manual says:

VEHICLE SPEED LIMITED TO XXX MPH (KM/H) - 113
A failure in the suspension control system has occurred when this message appears. The PCM determines the speed your vehicle is limited to. Have your vehicle serviced if this message appears.

So far you have done everything correct, its now up to the dealer. Don't know if you are aware but after you start the car and the message appears you can get rid of it for your trip by pressing the INFORMATION button. Not sure if this message repeats continuously or not but that shoudl fix it if it does.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Which fuse is blowing?
You can PM me as i don't always get back here right away.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:05 PM
sh

The CVRSS fuse keeps blowing that is the "Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension Module" Fuse which the mechanic says it is the Battery fuse for the module

Old 03-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

I followed the trouble tree in the service manual and it looks pretty cut and dry.
It's either a short in the wire to the suspension control module or the module itself is internally shorted.

If you mechanic does not feel comfortable troubleshooting this circuit i would suggest you take your car to a more qualified professional.

If it turns out the module is bad, it will need to be programed to your vehical using a special tool capable of that function.

I would recommend your local dealer for this type of repair.

Quick Reply: 2000 GM Cadillac STS 'SPEED LIMITED TO 145 K'(or 90 in the US) along with a blown fuse MESSAGE