Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

01 STS with service stability system

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Default 01 STS with service stability system

Can anyone help.... I have a service stability system message. Is there any way of finding out what set it off with out a dealer? In other words is there a way to see if a code has been sent?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Default RE: 01 STS with service stability system

I figured out how to see if there are any codes, however there are no RSS codes being sent. Is it possible that something may be unplugged or a wire broken?

Old 11-22-2008, 07:13 PM

Does the "Service Stability System" message re-appear after you clearit by pressing the "Info" button up or down? Does it appear with every drive cycle?

If no to both, it is likely a very intermittant fault in the high resolution steering position sensor and the error codes will go into "history" quite rapidly. This problem started in mine (99 STS) late this spring, disappeared over the summer and returned about two weeks ago when the weather turned colder. It only happens once, usually within about one or two minutes after starting a stone cold car in near freezing weather with high humidity. Sometimes after an overnight (unheated) garage, sometimes when parked in the weather, but always when stone cold. I believe such problem can be considered a nuisance until the steering position sensor problem gets significantly worse. The part is fairly expensive and requires complete removal of the steering column to replace as it is located at the base of the column.

If this fairly well describes your experience and especially if the message and single boing from the speakers does NOT repeat in a drive cycle after you clear by pressing the "Info" button up or down, then here's what I've figured out from the service manual and on-line resources: The stability system is disabled for a very short time but the antilock brakes and traction control are not affected. Even though an error has occurred, once things return to normal and proper signals are received from the steering position sensor the stability control system will operate normally (even if the "service suspension system" message is still on the DIC having not been "cleared" by pressing the info button). It seems VERY safe to consider this a nuisance problem. Safe not only for YOU but for the car itself.

BTW, a 2001 STS is really a Seville even though the only place you see "Seville" is on the cover of the owners manual.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:10 PM

My SSS message comes across the DIC with every drive cycle or every time you start the car (however you see it). I pressed the info up and down control and it will re-appear within a minute or so... Confused about why there is no road sensing system (RSS) codes being sent. Is it possible that something as simple as a wire or something can be broken, or maybe a bad fuse, circuit breaker or relay??

Old 11-25-2008, 04:09 PM

While lightly linked (via a "rough road" signal) stability control has almost nothing to do with road-sensing suspension. Stability control is MUCH more related to antilock brakes. You can have stability control without RSS, but not without ABS. The primary sensors stability control uses determine where you want to go (steering wheel position sensor), where the car is actually going (yaw rate sensor) and how much the car is moving side-to-side (lateral accelerometer). If the sensors show that the car isn't moving in the direction you want or that the rear end is stepping out, it selectively applies braking to the front wheels in very rapid and highly controlledpulses. By doing so, the system will help ensure that the car actually moves where you're pointing it with the steering wheel. Combined with traction control and ABS, things like "donuts" and "whip arounds" should be nearly impossible, but I haven't done such things for many years...

It looks like all DTCs that will bring up just the "Service Stability System" message are in the C1281 - C1289 range. You should definitely have some active DTCs and you can display them by setting the key to "on" (with or without engine running) and pressing the "Info" and "Up Arrow" buttons (to the right of the steering wheel) simultaneously until you see the entire dash flash. Then release and note the instructions and codes scrolling across the DIC display. Turn the key off to exit the mode, but I would not suggest resetting the errors unless you plan to repair yourself.

If you don't have any other problems (say the ABS or traction control warning lights), then the problem is likely within the three sensors I mentioned with the steering wheel position sensor a common trouble spot.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 PM

Thanks for all your input.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Default Stability system / ABS / TRAC

Hi there,

I have a Cadillac Seville STS 2001, and my board computer says maintenance of stabilizer. I don't know if there is a context, but another problem is, that when I take a turn left and apply the brakes the ABS takes effect and it rumbles.

Sometimes when the ABS took affect and I press on the Trac control button on and off (doesn't matter if it is on or off). There is no more ABS who takes effect on a turn left.

Does anybody has an idea what the reason for this problem is or how to fix it?

Thanks for all answers and information

Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Default Service Stability System/ABS/Traction Control

I have a 1999 Eldorado ESC. I just replaced the rear brake pads and when I started the car I now have three (3) warning lamps illuminated; sevice stability system (in the DIC), ABS lamp and traction control lamp. Did I cause a problem when I replaced the brake pads? Can these warnings be reset? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by simmy; 08-20-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:24 AM

"Changed brake pads, now have three (3) warning lamps illuminated; sevice stability system (in the DIC), ABS lamp and traction control lamp."

I just had this same thing happen last night...surfing the site and found this. NOBODY ANSWERED!!! Does anyone have the answer to this one?

Old 02-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Default abs traction control & stability are off.

My car is doing exactly what you said below and more this week now that the temp is in the 20's. After driving a while I can stop car and turn on and off and it will go out and sometimes not. When I leave work at night and make a right hand turn out parking lot the Traction control kicks in and I only be going like 5mph. Anyway, you think this is something to just wait out with the weather or ultimately its the high resoulution steering sensor going bad in my car?

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
Does the "Service Stability System" message re-appear after you clearit by pressing the "Info" button up or down? Does it appear with every drive cycle?

If no to both, it is likely a very intermittant fault in the high resolution steering position sensor and the error codes will go into "history" quite rapidly. This problem started in mine (99 STS) late this spring, disappeared over the summer and returned about two weeks ago when the weather turned colder. It only happens once, usually within about one or two minutes after starting a stone cold car in near freezing weather with high humidity. Sometimes after an overnight (unheated) garage, sometimes when parked in the weather, but always when stone cold. I believe such problem can be considered a nuisance until the steering position sensor problem gets significantly worse. The part is fairly expensive and requires complete removal of the steering column to replace as it is located at the base of the column.

If this fairly well describes your experience and especially if the message and single boing from the speakers does NOT repeat in a drive cycle after you clear by pressing the "Info" button up or down, then here's what I've figured out from the service manual and on-line resources: The stability system is disabled for a very short time but the antilock brakes and traction control are not affected. Even though an error has occurred, once things return to normal and proper signals are received from the steering position sensor the stability control system will operate normally (even if the "service suspension system" message is still on the DIC having not been "cleared" by pressing the info button). It seems VERY safe to consider this a nuisance problem. Safe not only for YOU but for the car itself.

BTW, a 2001 STS is really a Seville even though the only place you see "Seville" is on the cover of the owners manual.