Cadillac SRX The SRX offers the versatility of a mid-size sport utility vehicle with a sports car feel

RV Towing

Old 09-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Default RV Towing

Does anyone tow an SRX behind their RV? I plan to tow with a dolly, and the owner's manual for the SRX says this can be done with the rear wheels up. The dolly company, Roadmaster, says it can't be done. I have seen one SRX being towed 4-wheels down. I know a driveshaft disconnect is needed for that. Anyone with any experience in this? I have a 2007 SRX.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: RV Towing

ORIGINAL: fsudebbie

Does anyone tow an SRX behind their RV? I plan to tow with a dolly, and the owner's manual for the SRX says this can be done with the rear wheels up. The dolly company, Roadmaster, says it can't be done. I have seen one SRX being towed 4-wheels down. I know a driveshaft disconnect is needed for that. Anyone with any experience in this? I have a 2007 SRX.
There are SRX and SRX AWD .. not the same applies to both ..
my chart says all 2007 are AWD? that would be a problem towing.

not enough info provided.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:33 PM

Sorry....mine is RWD. I'm not aware of all 2007s being AWD. I checked my invoice and it says RWD. Thanks for your time.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:46 AM
Tech Certified Members

today's cars have a lot of technology that yesterday's cars did not.

putting that aside, i havent seen any issues towing a car with the DRIVE wheels OFF the road or driveshafst disconencted.
but the car's computers sensors may have a different opinion.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:33 PM
?

I've towed my 2005 AWD SRX about 20,000 miles so far. Four wheels down, using the Remco transmission pump and a Watson Streetworks latching relay to disconnect the battery while towing. It comes with a weatherproof momentary contact switch which I put in the grill. With a nav screen, the battery will go dead in just a few hours otherwise. And pulling fuses and disconnecting the battery cable makes no sense.

The Blue Ox base plate pokes the towing connect points out through existing slots in the grill. Black car, black towing brackets, pretty low key.

Barry Rooker

Old 10-16-2007, 11:44 PM

Thanks. I talked to Remco and they suggested the lube pump, but I was unaware about what I could do about the battery. If the dolly thing doesn't work out, I'll try that. We're driving/towing to Tennessee on Saturday. It will be the first trip. I bought special tie-down straps for the steering wheel, plus a crook-hook for extra protection.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:41 PM

The remco lube pump is the way to go. Leave the dolly at home. Neither way are you going to be able to back your RV up while hooked up but I feel much safer will all four wheels on the ground. Some RV dealers say you need a brake buddy (I have one and dont use it). There is a problem with the battery dying quickly and I am playing around with that now. I am actually looking for a way to keep the battery charged. I have not tried Watson Streetworks latching relay to turn the battery off though. I have a 2001 AWD Escalade and when the battery goes dead it takes a few hours for the Air conditioner to work itself out.

Good luck on this.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:52 PM

Thanks. I towed to Tenn and back on the dolly, backwards. I had no problems with the car, but found when I got home that the dolly wheels were worn on the inside on both sides. Needless to say, I'm not happy. I'm still contemplating the lube pump, but I understand that you need to run another wiring harness to power the pump and the monitor that goes on the dash of the RV. What about the Watson thing? Does that require power also?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:14 AM

With the Remco they are going to send you everything you need. Yes it does require power but the power is coming from your RV. It works like a charm and the monitor is very small and has both a visual light and an audible alarm in the event you forgot to plug the cord in.

As for battery disconnect. I have purchased one and will test it out right after Christmas. It is supposed to have a hot connection that will keep the Clock and Computer powered but nothing else. The battery to everything else will be cut off so all should be good. Good luck on your end.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:15 PM

Sorry for the long delay on the reply. I purchased a battery disconnect from Street Works that was supposed to leave the computer running but once I took it to a few mechanics was told that the Escalade had to be a 2005 or newer in order for this to work. I have a 2004. So I ended up buying a $10.00 battery disconnect from AutoZone. Tried to use a clock saver to run the computer but could not afford the batteries to keep it running. Just having the battery turned off ( by disconnecting negative instead of positive ) seems to work fine for now. I am still looking for a good way to keep the computer hooked up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RV Towing