Cadillac SRX The SRX offers the versatility of a mid-size sport utility vehicle with a sports car feel

04 SRX slow starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Default 04 SRX slow starting problem

Hi Guys, my wife has an 04 SRX V8 and loves it. The only trouble we've had with it is the CD changer and recently a starting problem. The car always starts eventually but the problem seems to be getting worse. It has been to the dealer twice and still has the problem. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Default RE: 04 SRX slow starting problem

Back to the top for this one... still having the issue. Sometimes now it take three trys to start the car. It actslike it is not getting gas or spark.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: TA76

Hi Guys, my wife has an 04 SRX V8 and loves it. The only trouble we've had with it is the CD changer and recently a starting problem. The car always starts eventually but the problem seems to be getting worse. It has been to the dealer twice and still has the problem. Anyone know what the problem could be?
Not enough details to make an intelligent diagnosis.

Can you describe what you mean by taking three tries to start?
Exactly, how long do you crank on each try and what happens ?
What has been done since the problem surfaced?
other details are needed per this thread:
https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_9792/tm.htm

At any case, I'm thinking two options .. expensive, so we need details.
1. coil pack
2 fuel pump / fuel pressure.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:15 PM

The dealership has cleaned the injectors twice I believe. Sometimes the car starts just fine on the first try. Most of the time it takes two or three attempts to start. By that I mean it just turns over and over (around 15-20 seconds) until it stops or you turn the key off. Until recently, it would then start on the second attempt like normal (pretty quick). In the last month or so it is sometimes taking three attempts to start. The car always starts but it somewhat irks the wife that her 50K car won't start the first time like my 26K Colorado.

Edit-Let me call the dealership and find out exactly what they did both times it was in the shop for this.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: TA76

The dealership has cleaned the injectors twice I believe. Sometimes the car starts just fine on the first try. Most of the time it takes two or three attempts to start. By that I mean it just turns over and over (around 15-20 seconds) until it stops or you turn the key off. Until recently, it would then start on the second attempt like normal (pretty quick). In the last month or so it is sometimes taking three attempts to start. The car always starts but it somewhat irks the wife that her 50K car won't start the first time like my 26K Colorado.

Edit-Let me call the dealership and find out exactly what they did both times it was in the shop for this.
Cant blame the wife .. it should start at the 1st crank, within 2 seconds.

Why clean the injectors? That is not even on my radar.
Did they do a FUEL PRESSURE TEST? what was the pressure?

Cranking once and not starting, cranking a 2nd time and starts quickly .. points to a failing fuel pump and a far second, the coil pack.

Now its evolved to three times? now coil pack gets to the lead but fuel pump remains a close second.

I'm still thinking .. why clean the fuel injectors? odd. Cant wait for what they say on this one.

Try these two:

1. you turn the key on but do NOT crank and listen to the fuel pump .. time it until it stops. Turn key off for 10 seconds. repeat .. time again. get back and report ...

2. IF the time is equal on the 1st and 2nd attempts, try this:
when the engine is cold .. hit the coil pack with 5 minutes of really hot air, using your wife's hair drier.
stop the hot air, close the hood and start her up .. report ...

The other TECHS may want to skin me for unconventional methods .. but, what you have, I been there, done that.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:45 PM

Thanks Stealth, sorry for the slow response... been busy with other stuff. I'll give your suggestions a shot and report back.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:19 AM

Hey Stealth, do you know the outcome of this one?