Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Seville '94 - radiator fans won't come on

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Default Seville '94 - radiator fans won't come on

I have owned a '94 Seville SLS since 1996 and have mostly loved the experience. Recently, I noticed that my radiator was leaking from the passenger side where the end tank mounts up. I purchased and installed a replacement radiator, flushed the system and put ina 50:50 coolant mixture. After the repair, each time I took the car out, I watched the coolant temperature display in the dash to make surethe engine was again running in the normal temperature range. To my surprise, when stopped andidling, the temperature would get up to 223 F. I pulled over and inspected the radiator / engine for coolant leaks and to my surprise neither radiator fan was working with the coolant at 223 degrees F! When cooled down, I disconnected and re-connected each fan wire connector to make sure I had solid connections. I also checked all fuses to make sure none had blown. I'm stumped, all fuses are good and the fans are connected, as they should be.

Tomorrow, I will take a hot wire to each fan directly off the battery to make sure they each work.

I have no codes in history that help me isolate the cause of why the fans are not working.

BTW: the car has 140,000 miles on it.

I doubt this is related, but the rear-view mirror sentinel (I believe it adjusts mirror angle when a car isbehindme with bright lights on at night)and driver-side seat heat are no longer working. Again, all fuses in the twofuse blocks (in thetrunk and under the hood) have tested good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
John

Old 12-27-2008, 04:33 AM
Default RE: Seville '94 - radiator fans won't come on

what happens when you turn the front defrost on when the car is running, do the fans come on at that point?

Old 12-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Seville '94 - radiator fans won't come on

Cooling fans should come on at 228 degrees/ 110 C and turn off at 216 degrees f / 102 C.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:35 AM

I apologize that it has taken me so long to respond. I've been working out of the area and only last week did I return and am now starting to catch up.

To Musique: yes both fans come on when the front defrost is turned on. There is a short delay of less than 30 seconds, but the fans come on. They don't turn very fast, but they are definitely running.

To Slowroll: I didn't realize that the radiator fan would not come on until 228 degrees. So, guess what? Yes, I am embarrassed! At 228 degrees, the radiator fan does come on, it then cools the coolant to about 210, the fan goes off. These higher temperatures are only realized when stopped as the air that passes through the radiator when driving keeps the coolant cool enough so the radiator fan doesn't need to come on. I just thought with the coolant getting to 223 degrees, the fan should have come on. How do I look with egg on my face?

Thank you both very much for your assistance. Other than embarrassment, the problem I reported is the best type of problem to have, as there isn't one!

The driver seat heater and auto-sensing rear view mirror remain as the only problems with my fine Caddy.