Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

New member with 1996 Seville STS

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Default New member with 1996 Seville STS

Just picked up this car and it has 98K on it and no dents or dings... so far it's (Knock on wood) in good shape except the shocks and struts... The car has a thumping noise while driving low speeds and hitting bumps. So that's why i'm guessing shocks and struts?!?! Also when I move the wheel to the left while the car is parked the RPM will rev up a little and suggestions?

I've been looking into these from other posts on this forum and was wondering if this is the only thing I have to do

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...id6_pid42.html

Any help would be much appreciated

Old 04-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Certified Members

go_getter.... first welcome to the forum! and congrats on the sts.... you will like it!

you could have something as little as a strut tower a little loose.... that would be a good thing! however if you plan to work your suspension you should also look at one of the forums sponsers 'STRUT MASTERS" and compair.

now ... do you have service records of the sts? if not exchange coolant NOW. not to mention an oil change, and check all fluids....

send the forum some pics if you are able and keep us posted, please

good luck, and hope to see ya 'round

rickyd

Old 04-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Certified Members

good choice of car you'll definitely like it. alot of info can be found here and theres lots of helpful ppl here too. As for the problems when turning the wheel while parked the rpms will fluctuate thats usually normal.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by rickyd
go_getter.... first welcome to the forum! and congrats on the sts.... you will like it!

you could have something as little as a strut tower a little loose.... that would be a good thing! however if you plan to work your suspension you should also look at one of the forums sponsers 'STRUT MASTERS" and compair.

now ... do you have service records of the sts? if not exchange coolant NOW. not to mention an oil change, and check all fluids....

send the forum some pics if you are able and keep us posted, please

good luck, and hope to see ya 'round

rickyd
Thanks!! I will check it out the strut tower... No service records but that was the first thing I did was did a coolant flush and an oil change.. Anyone have any experience with turning the wheel to the left and the RPM's revving higher??

Old 04-19-2009, 06:32 AM

The reason the RPMs go up is because the car is raising the RPMs. Why you say? Well, when you turn the wheel, you put resistance on the accessory belts/drive/crank via the power steering pump doing its job. The ECU sees the RPMs lower one way or another, and raises the idle slightly to compensate. Same thing happens when you switch on the air conditioning. Its really no big deal - its supposed to work that way.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: just realized you said to the left....just the left? That may indicate a different issue altogether...

Old 04-20-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Evil_SpeedRacer
EDIT: just realized you said to the left....just the left? That may indicate a different issue altogether...
Oh no!! I've realized driving it this weekend that I need to do some suspension work on this car... I just don't know what to purchase and wanted to go with the above link but really can't get much feedback on them.. I'm ready to make the purchase but just need some feedback on what to get and what is all that is needed to do this...

Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Tech Certified Members

i just replaced the rear struts on my 98 SLS myself which is very easy and i bought my struts at my local Advanced auto parts and it cost me $880 for both. The dealer tried to charge me $800 per strut iwas like KMA! They also tried to say i needed to get the rear aligned but that was BS since the struts just bolt in place of the old ones and have no way of messing with the camber or toe. The Fronts will be a lil tougher since they need a tool to compress the spring and the struts do have a position to be in to keep the alignment straight. so you may want to take it to a shop to do the front struts.