Default New guy, 1997 Seville SLS

Hi! My name is Shawn, and this is my new Seville:
Name:  caddy1.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  96.4 KB
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  86.6 KB

Just turned 100,000 miles, in great shape. Just got it from a friend who had it sitting for a while, so I spent the last few days doing exhaustive amounts of maintenance....and I thought it was hard trying to maintain a 400+ hp Mitsubishi 4G63T! Loving the car so far, and I look forward to chit chatting with you guys about these sweet luxury cars! I am planning to leave this one stock...we will see how long that lasts...

Old 04-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Certified Members

evil....... nice lookin sls dude.... and welcome to the forum!..... lots of great stuff here to read about your car, and any cadillac, faq section...... look around off topic, and other stuff. have a few chuckles, get to know the people, and have a great time..... good luck and keep'r stock, .........mostly....lol
rickyd

Old 04-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

changed the coolant right, right ?
something tells me that you demand lots of ponies at stops. added LUCAS to trani ?

welcome

Old 04-19-2009, 09:46 AM

I like some ponies with me anytime! I actually enjoy road racing/autocross more than just going down to the old strip.

I have not added Lucas to the tranny, but I can if that is a suggestion. How do these motors like the motor oil treatment? My LR3 didn't like it so much, but my AWD Mitsubishi loves the stuff.

To address the coolant change, the answer is yes. What is this "supplement package" I read about elsewhere?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Evil_SpeedRacer
I like some ponies with me anytime! I actually enjoy road racing/autocross more than just going down to the old strip.

I have not added Lucas to the tranny, but I can if that is a suggestion. How do these motors like the motor oil treatment? My LR3 didn't like it so much, but my AWD Mitsubishi loves the stuff.

To address the coolant change, the answer is yes. What is this "supplement package" I read about elsewhere?
evil.... the FAQ section on this forum has great stuff for your reading pleasure, and will answer alot of your questions that you have posted.....

if you get coolant tabs from GM parts....$5, or $6. only use two tabs per coolant exchange. turn tabs into powder form by crushing, and after added run N* good so additive circulates thru.

i do run lucas in my trans, and recommend. i figured with 100k best play it safe, ya kno?

rickyd

Last edited by rickyd; 04-22-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: more info....
Old 04-21-2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Evil_SpeedRacer

In response to your question regarding the coolant supplement. The people at the local Shucks have never heard of it, so I looked it up in the manual. The factory service manual contains the following notice:

"This engine uses DEX-COOL and GM coolant supplement (sealant) P/N 3634621 specifically designed for use in aluminum engines. Failure to use the engine coolant supplement (sealant) and the approved coolant antifreeze could result in major engine damage. When refilling the cooling system, add three pellets of the engine coolant supplement sealant GM P/N 3634621 to the lower radiator hose."

Old 05-02-2009, 01:57 AM

Sorry it's been a while guys, been off my feet with health issues...

I have been doing a metric crap-ton of lurking all about the net for more info on this car. Mostly to keep me from being hell of scared about the head gasket issues they talk about on the other forum. I have decided to source a good block for a replacement now, and have it studded like the famous "Mark" ( no dis-respect.. ) and get the multi-layer head gasket. Very familiar with those being a mitsu guy. I like what I have learned so far about the motor!

The coolant tabs are prolly gonna be a dealer item here where I am. I plan to track some down along with some TEC to try and cure my little low knock issue currently going on. I took her out a few times and gave the throttle some wood, but might have a nice cache of carbon in there somewhere. Previous owner was shocked to learn that this engine likes that now and then. There was no way it made sense to him that you could clean out the engne this way- I winded myself trying to explain.. LOL He and my old S-10 are a better match.

The snapperheads at the parts store make me crazy too! I asked them about the silicate stuff so I could avoid it, and they looked at me half cocked like a confused dog. Asked " what you drivin' son?". I reply Cadillac, and you would think I told him I'm rollin the flying saucer outside. "they all take dex-cool". Gee thanks. The Internet suggested Might find such info on the bottle, that was a load of shiz. I mentioned the tabs, they asked if I had a leak to stop up in the rad or something, I decided it was time to leave because I was clearly not in the right place.... Anyway, it's got fresh green stuff for now and my eagle eye on the exact temp in my display until I install my new digi guages in the car. Soon I will drain it since I know the right answer but I don't like dex cool so much...

Dash lights are still out, and I suspect after much research it might be the sentinal or the switch as I have no twilight functionality either... Will report my findings

Last edited by Evil_SpeedRacer; 05-02-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Certified Members

Anytime you want to find the supplement, search for GINGER ...

https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/...ghlight=ginger

it is available at Walmart, Target, all the parts stores, and of course the GM and Ford dealers under their own brands.
The dealer stuff is also made by Bar's Leak ..
do not confuse the organic with the metallic .. do not.

as to the headgaskets .. if its OK now, and you maintain it, you likely wont see any problems .. unless .. the engine has had a prior replacement, then it could.

the knock .. better figure that one out .. be easy on her until then.

Last edited by stomper; 05-02-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:40 PM

Well it's a pretty faint knock, that could be built up carbon. Previous owner drove it like an old lady. Even had 20s on it at one point... Yuck. If the TEC does the trick then cool. I can feel the she is pretty loaded up. Getting a new o2 and plugs n wires this week after the cleanng. If that and new oil doesn't do the trick then I will be cutting the old oil filter open for sure. I plan on using dura blend from Valvoline for oil, since it has such a high zinc content. My turbocharged car loves the stuff and I think Mary Jane will like it too.

Yes, I believe every good caddy should have a name! ^_^

Old 05-02-2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by rickyd
evil....... nice lookin sls dude.... and welcome to the forum!..... lots of great stuff here to read about your car, and any cadillac, faq section...... look around off topic, and other stuff. have a few chuckles, get to know the people, and have a great time..... good luck and keep'r stock, .........mostly....lol
rickyd
Never did say it... Thank you! I keep trying to accept the friend request, but it's telling me to kick rocks when I do it from my iPhone.

Quick Reply: New guy, 1997 Seville SLS