Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Need advice on buying a 99 Seville STS!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Default Need advice on buying a 99 Seville STS!!

Hi, I'm new to this forum and need some advice. Here's the situation:

I have begun the process (put $500 down to hold the car) of buying a beautiful Pearl White 99 Seville STS for $3999 w/ 98K miles on it. The used car dealer I am buying it from purchased the car from an auction. Unfortunately, they told me that there was "something" wrong with the Head Gasket and it needs to be repaired or replaced and I will not be able to pick it up until all repairs are done...which won't be for another 4-5 days. After doing some research I see that these cars are prone to blown Head Gaskets causing costly repairs. The dealer tells me that when he drove it back from the auction there was no over-heating but there was also no hot/warm air coming out of the vents. He has assured me that they certify all thier work. I was excited about driving this car around but now I am a little "sketchy" about the whole thing. I will definitely be taking the car for a stringent test drive before additional funds are transferred and I am considering taking the car directly to a certified Cadillac dealership if all is well after the test drive.

What do you think? What should I do? What specifics should I ask about the repairs? Should I ask for a warranty or grace period?

I appreciate ANY advice, additional information, and/or insights.

Thank you,
Nathan

Old 06-01-2009, 09:45 PM

Well im by no means an expert but i also just bought a 99STS with 96,000 miles (about a year ago). Paid considerbly less then you (about half) but it did need all new tires. Mine is excellent shape and I love the thing. It had 2 things wrong with it, a fuse, and a acutator door on the heating system.

Head gaskets: read, read and read some more. Seems to be the weak spot on this engine and you will read alot of horror stories (nobody comes ot a forum to say that there head gasket is great!) so it seems a bit worse then it probebly is. With that said its very big bucks to fix. If dealer is doing it, no worries, he covers cost.

The "gotcha" seems there are "fixes" and "the right way" to fix this problem. Again read, decide waht you feel is the right way and ask the dealer what they did. From my reading a simple head gasket replace (like most cars would require) is just a tempory fix, not a permant one. The good way to repair this is a $2-4000 repair... so with the price you are paying make sure they fix it right or you just have a big ugly repair down the road again. My car had the head gasket problem (which is the bolts strip out) and was repaired, bill says it was $2800 and it came with a 3 year 30,000 warrenty.

In my opinion, if the car is what you want, and the "correct" way to repair it was done.. why not, no used car is guarnteed. I really wanted a white one, but ended up with a black one.

Other wise they are know to have some grounding issues, lots of grounds and car is funky if they are not all connecting good. Also the BOSE stereo is a Pain. Parts are expensive and you cant swap with just anything.Mine gets about 25-28 MPG on hyway and about 14 in town (my 87 corvette does better (18/28), but rides like crap compared to the caddy )

Old 06-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Certified Members

i for one will say my 99 sts head gasket is fine at 107k. however coolant has been changed 4 times and will be done again this summer. its due. (hint-hint)...... fortunutly i was able to get all service records from delivery in '99...... ditto on above post, however the ground thing is somewhat of a debate. i, with others have a lengthly thread ( E-Ghosts) and worked all grounds on the car, thinking that was the problem. all grounds were fine and problem ended up being the RIM.
N8tP, run a car fax on the car. go to your local cadillac dealer with the vin and introduce yourself to the service mgr. let him know he will have a new customer, and ask him to run a VIS on the car. that will give you everything that GM has knowledge of for that vehicle. very helpfull!!.
if your dealer is true, and is really going to replace the head gasket......GREAT!! you want to see progress as it is done. ie: engine torn down, etc. then what type of warranty will he give you on that repair?
as far as bose systems you'll love it, though some are tempramental.....keke. i have an amp in pass door,frt that goes wacko every now and then.... i'll change it someday.....
good luck and keep the forum posted. WELCOME here, and hope to see ya round
rickyd

Last edited by rickyd; 06-02-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated!! I pulled the CARFAX and everything checks out fine. You both hit the nail on the head...I am worried that the dealer may be using a temporary fix solution and a year (or less) from now I will have to shell out $2800+.

rickyd - question in regard to in-progress repair: would they have to lift the entire motor out and split it, or could the "correct" repairs be completed with the block in. The dealer told me today that the mechanic has sent the heads out for cleaning. Not sure if that's necessary or if he's just trying to divert my attention (I might be just a lil' paranoid). What do you think?

clok1996 - I really want to drive this car around and I am willing to accept "certain" risks.

If everthing goes well after the test drive on Thursday (which will be long and thorough) I will take it to the dealership and talk to the service manager to run the VIS (any idea what that stands for?)

Thanks again...I'll keep you posted.
N8tP

Old 06-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Tech Certified Members

VIS....vehicle information system...... you need to go where the car is NOW and have a look see. is the dealer a new, or pre-owned dealer? what he said sounds right, so..... go look at the car!!! now!!! while its torn apart...
its an engine, not a motor....... motors are electric, imo... and thats probobly debatable..... lol. no the engine does not completely have to come out.......
keep us in the loop N8tP
rickyd

Old 06-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Certified Members

so whats going on dude????

Old 06-04-2009, 12:07 PM

Well...I got a call from the dealer (pre-owned dealership) and the car won't be ready for a couple more days. He told me that they are having to send the heads out to ensure that there was/is no warping. If there wasn't the car will be ready fairly quickly, if there was it won't be till early next week sometime. I voiced my concerns about having the repairs done correctly and the dealer ensured me they would be. I definitely feel better about the situation now and I am will to be a little more patient. I will keep you updated. Thanks again...your time and consideration it appreciated!!!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Certified Members

were you able to see the car? if i were you id make a friendly stop at the dealership, talk to your sales person, and ask to see the car...... know what i mean?
rickyd

Old 06-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Certified Members

sounds like they are doing everything they should to fix the gasket issue. For my recent head gaskets repair it took about 3 days to complete with the cost of $2800. Good thing they are doing the work. Since they are only charging you around $4000 to buy the car its like picking up the car for free and paying for it to be fixed and the dealer probably isnt going to make much on profit. I bought my 98 SLS with 89,000 miles and 60,000miles on the replacement engine for $3000 and 5 months later the gaskets went out so in the end i got to pay nearly full price for this car. LOL. Hope you get this car and it treats you well. good luck with the purchase.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rickyd
VIS....vehicle information system...... you need to go where the car is NOW and have a look see. is the dealer a new, or pre-owned dealer? what he said sounds right, so..... go look at the car!!! now!!! while its torn apart...
its an engine, not a motor....... motors are electric, imo... and thats probobly debatable..... lol. no the engine does not completely have to come out.......
keep us in the loop N8tP
rickyd

Does that also mean that a cycle with a motor is electric? Does a MOTORCycle have an electric motor?

are you sure?

Detroit "Motor City," Michigan
- Do you know why Detroit is known as "Motor City?" Long recognized as the historic heart of the American automotive industry, Detroit took on the nickname "Motor City."

motor (mtr)
1. Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.
2. A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.

engine (njn)
a. A machine that converts energy into mechanical force or motion.
b. Such a machine distinguished from an electric, spring-driven, or hydraulic motor by its use of a fuel.

All engines are motors, but not all motors are engines !

ok .. ok .. i'm picking on you .. slow day, raining here .. in So CA of all places.

Last edited by Stealth; 06-05-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Need advice on buying a 99 Seville STS!!