Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Infamous Bose Replacement Questions (94 STS)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Default Infamous Bose Replacement Questions (94 STS)

Hello everyone, This is my first post here.

I just bought a 1994 STS with 37k on it, its been in my family since day one. The bose system works ok, but intermitantly it will pop off, and all I hear is the interferance from the ignition through the speakers. I think the CDM is probably toast.

I have a DDin Kenwood head unit, and aftermarket speakers/subs/amps to replace everything with.

I have had extensive experience working on all kinds of cars, classics and new. Anyone that can help answer a few questions, I would greatly appreciate it!
1. Has anyone used the Metra wire kit with bose integration, and if so, can you actually use the factory bose speakers with the aftermarket head unit? I assume thats what "bose integration" means...
2. Where do most people wire their power wire for a trunk mounted aftermarket amp? I read somewhere it needs to come off the battery, across the front of the engine bay, through the grommet on the left side firewall, and then the length of the car. Isnt there something on the left side near the fuse box that I can connect a 4ga power wire to, so I dont have to waste so much 4ga wire? If not, cant I just hook it to the battery and run it through the right side of the firewall?
3. If I decide not to use a $50 metra kit, What wires do most people tap into for power/ign/memory from the factory CDM harness at the head unit? (a source for a wire diagram would be nice)
4. When using the metra harness, is the antenna that comes with it any good? ie: does it pick up any interferance?
5. Are there any instructions or a how-to w/ pics of removing the rear seat, package tray, etc? I can take anything apart and get it back together, just like to be safe and not risk breaking anything and then having to replace it, not even interior clips...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Brad B; 08-18-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Certified Members

your on the right track as far as the wiring. The kit will be plug and play only reason you need it is to turn the bose amps on and keep the dinger noise working. Its been awhile but the wires to tap into on most GM cars is yellow(ACC) and Orange (constant pwr) Black (grnd). BUt on cadillacs is gona be a pita cause you will have to find a way to by pass the amps for the bose system or your speakers wont work.
So just use the GMRC-01 wireharness and then youll be set to go. the antena should be fine since your facory unit is just probly worn out. once the new deck is installed it should be fine.

i would suggest when installing the aftermarket amp, run the pwr wire from the battery instead of the fuse box, the wires on the fuse box arent cappable of handling the power needed to power the amp. When taking the back seat out im not sure i weasled the wire through and pulled it through from the trunk. other wise go to the library or if you have get a chiltons book it will tell you how to remove the seat.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 PM

92_Daddylac, Thanks for the reply.

I got the back seat out, bottom came out easy, same as all cars, seat-back had two nuts I had to remove from the trunk and two below. The power antenna works fine, my car only has 37k miles on it.

I was going to run the power wire from the positive connection on the side of the fuse/relay box, in the engine bay on the drivers side, just behind the air box... thats what my question was, if that was safe enough or did it have to come from the battery, all the way around to the drivers side, then through the firewall and back...

Old 08-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Brad B
92_Daddylac, Thanks for the reply.

I was going to run the power wire from the positive connection on the side of the fuse/relay box, in the engine bay on the drivers side, just behind the air box... thats what my question was, if that was safe enough or did it have to come from the battery, all the way around to the drivers side, then through the firewall and back...
I gotcha i read your post wrong my bad. I did that on my seville and it worked fine. I later found my battery is under the rear seat on sevilles so i then only had to run 4ft of powerwire.
So you should be ok. otherwise if you want to run straight from the battery just drill a hole through the firewall and use a rubber grommet thats how some stereo installations are done as well.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:23 PM

i have a 95 sts tht i just bought, the last guy already bought n ran the new harness for an aftermarket head unit. i put all wires together n have power but no sound. is there something that im missing to hook up, i know i need to get power to the amp for the speakers to work but how?

Old 05-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Tech Certified Members

if you check the wire harness make sure the Blu wire from the cd player is hooked up to the blue wire on the harness you should then have power to the bose amp and therefor hear sound. the older sevilles with bose shouldnt be as tricky as the 98+. let meknow what you find out.
take pics if you need to explain better i know sometimes its hard to explain stuff when wires and colors are in the mix.

Last edited by 92_Daddylac; 05-04-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 PM

i figured it out, thanks tho...i got tired of searching online so i decided to just get into the car n do trial n error, i figured it out almost instantly, but the had a major problem with the memory. after 3 hours all is well. if neone else has similar problems just reply to this post n i can provide pics of how i did it

Old 05-29-2011, 07:56 PM

I have a 94 sls with bose gold series and was wondering if anyone has or knows where i could find a complete wire diagram of the system.. i know a lil about stereos but the way they wire things is wierd in my opinion, would like to use an aftermarket deck i have with the Bose speakers & amps but if i can't find the diagram im goin to just rip it all out and rewire an all new system. Any help will be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance.