Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

I need help! My 94 seville sts overheats

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Default I need help! My 94 seville sts overheats

My 94 seville sts overheats. Ive checked for blown head gasket,they are good water pump is good, radiator is not plugged and I have even tried to bypass the heater core it still overheats. the top radiator hose gets wicked hot but lower doesnt get hot,the thermostat is new. does anybody have any other suggestions.

==========
mod edit
title

Last edited by Stealth; 05-16-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Firstcaddyiskillingme
My 94 seville sts overheats. Ive checked for blown head gasket,they are good water pump is good, radiator is not plugged and I have even tried to bypass the heater core it still overheats. the top radiator hose gets wicked hot but lower doesnt get hot,the thermostat is new. does anybody have any other suggestions.
by your description, coolant is NOT FLOWING.
pull the stat and see how she runs then.

where did you get the PUMP ?

Old 05-14-2009, 08:36 AM

The pump was replaced at caddy dealer just before i bought the car. Ill try without the t stat, i take it the housing wont leak without the t stat.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

The pump was replaced at caddy dealer just before i bought the car. Ill try without the t stat, i take it the housing wont leak without the t stat.
just keep in mind that if the top hose is really hot and the bottom hose is not, the issue is FLOW, of lack of it.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 PM

Ok I tried removing the t stat and still the same. i bypassed the heater core and just left the the hoses going to the core wide open and no water came out of them when running, but the car still got hot.Could the head gasket have failed even more since it was first tested or is there anything else i should try.Prior to all this the car always ran at 199 moving and 200-220 at a stop, then one day at a stop the temp climed to 240 then i shut it off.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Tech Certified Members

Ok I tried removing the t stat and still the same. i bypassed the heater core and just left the the hoses going to the core wide open and no water came out of them when running, but the car still got hot.Could the head gasket have failed even more since it was first tested or is there anything else i should try.Prior to all this the car always ran at 199 moving and 200-220 at a stop, then one day at a stop the temp climed to 240 then i shut it off.
stat is still off ?
pull the top hose and run the engine .. if coolant does not come out like a geyser, your pump is either dead of defective.

not sure if you can tell that at the heater core but you will know for sure at the rad side.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:52 PM

it doesnt come out like a geyser it just kind of flows out

Old 05-14-2009, 10:54 PM

stat is stll off

Old 05-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Tech Certified Members

it doesnt come out like a geyser it just kind of flows out
if you rev the engine, coolant should jump out if the stat is OFF and water pump is good.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:08 PM

ok so fari have i have done everything and it all looks normal, but the water pump looks like its not flowing enough water so i put everything back the way it should be but broke a bolt off in the thermostat housing so im taking a break from the car for a day thanks again for all the help

Quick Reply: I need help! My 94 seville sts overheats