Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

How to replace starter on 99 STS

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Default How to replace starter on 99 STS

I have been experiencing trouble starting my 99' STS, which would only occur once in a blue moon. When I would turn over the ignition, I would here a click, which would normaly take about 3 attempts when it would happen. Today it took 20 seperate attemps. I believe it's the starter, but can not locate it. Can someone help me locate it?????? Also what is a good price for a rebuilt starter for my car, and could it be something else other than the starter?????

Please help............

Old 05-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: How to replace starter on 99 STS

ORIGINAL: Nygbo

I have been experiencing trouble starting my 99' STS, which would only occur once in a blue moon. When I would turn over the ignition, I would here a click, which would normally take about 3 attempts when it would happen. Today it took 20 seperate attemps. I believe it's the starter, but can not locate it. Can someone help me locate it?????? Also what is a good price for a rebuilt starter for my car, and could it be something else other than the starter?????

Please help............
the starter is on top of the engine, under the beauty cover smack in the center of the block.
it is enough work to replace it that I wouldnt mess with a rebuilt unless there is no choice.

Name:  engine1_08.jpg
Views: 5879
Size:  41.8 KB

Old 05-02-2008, 08:40 AM

I'd certainly start with simple stuff. Check the negative battery cable. I've been experiencing a similar problem with my '95 STS. I can't tighten the negative battery post well and have a lousy connection. A little jiggle seems todo it.

If you DO need a starter, don't go cheap. Either get a "Genuine GM" or go to a local reputable rebuilder. Lots of rebuilt starters, alternators and fuel pumps are now lousy. Better a little more now for something that will last than having to take the sucker apart again in 4 months. [:'(]

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: Nygbo

I have been experiencing trouble starting my 99' STS, which would only occur once in a blue moon. When I would turn over the ignition, I would here a click, which would normally take about 3 attempts when it would happen. Today it took 20 separate attempts. I believe it's the starter, but can not locate it. Can someone help me locate it?????? Also what is a good price for a rebuilt starter for my car, and could it be something else other than the starter?????

Please help............
The first thing I would do is jump it with a GOOD battery and high quality cables and see if the problem changes.

By jumping, you do two things.

1. you make sure you got a good connection at the battery posts
2. you provide plenty of AMPS to kick the solenoid

IF the problem goes away, is not the starter. Then clean and properly tighten terminals, make sure battery is properly charged and see if the problem goes away. If not, the battery becomes highly suspect.

In our cars, you can have an OK battery and have issues.
Our cars often need a good battery with plenty of AMPS, not just an OK battery.

It is a whole lot cheaper to do that compared to replacing a starter that you may not need.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: rowdy

I'd certainly start with simple stuff. Check the negative battery cable. I've been experiencing a similar problem with my '95 STS. I can't tighten the negative battery post well and have a lousy connection. A little jiggle seems todo it.

If you DO need a starter, don't go cheap. Either get a "Genuine GM" or go to a local reputable rebuilder. Lots of rebuilt starters, alternators and fuel pumps are now lousy. Better a little more now for something that will last than having to take the sucker apart again in 4 months. [:'(]

Good luck!
Why cant you tighten it?
Side or top terminals?

Old 05-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Certified Members

sounds like he needs a new clamp stomper
rickyd