Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

85 Seville speaker problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Default 85 Seville speaker problems

Hey my friend asked me to put a new stereo in his 85 seville. Now, I am not a professional, but a do like to think that I have a good grasp on car audio, but I could not figure it out for the life of me. I has a Delco Bose system in it. We pulled the old radio, and got the new one all hooked up. Turned the ignition and the display lit up a little, but no numbers or anything appeared. I rechecked everything, and then ran a voltometer on the wires. We were getting power from the ignition switch, but not from the 12V constant. Checked the fuse, and it was fine. The cigarete lighter had no powerto it either, or the lights under the dash above your feet. Couldn't figure out why none of them had power. Still can't. I don't know if there is some sort of fuse elsewhere, of master switch of some sort. I decided to stop messing with it, and so I just tapped into another wire under the dash that did have constant power, and just used that to run the cd player. Well, that did fix the CD player problem, but then nothing was coming through the speakers. Checked the wiring harness agian, it was good. Checked to make sure that there was in fact signal coming out and there was. The only thing I can think is that the speakers are all self amplified, and some how the power is not making it to them. Which would make sense because there was no power to a lot of the other stuff as I mentioned. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong. I would really like some imput. He bought all the stuff, and can't really return it, and doesn't want to waste it. We could just gut it and rewire the whole thing, but that's a pain, and time consuming, and even more expensive. Thanks, and I hope that makes sense.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Certified Members

Check the yellow CSTY or BODY fuse ( right side of fuse box 2nd or 3rd yellow fuse). When it blows, you have no lighter or under dash lights. Yes, each speaker enclosure has its own amp. I've seen a made up harness that used the low level red and white plugs at the back of the new CD player/radio running to the speakers. The factory radio has no amp it is only a pre amp unit. Not an easy conversion.