Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Engine temp warning leading to other issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Unhappy Engine temp warning leading to other issues?

I have an 87 cadillac seville, i know you dont have to say it, but regardless the problem actually isnt mechanical, go figure huh, i ran into a small issue a while back where the engine temp warning would flicker at me, wasnt a huge deal, didnt care i just kept an eye on it, never overheated, not even a little. so time went by, ran some new ground wires and jiggled some stuff and it went away, and all the sudden months later it happens again only this time worse, it comes on, stays on, flickers and sometimes goes off when i hit a bump, but generally just stays on, even when the car is off and cooled to the point of being able to touch, sitting for hours with no one touching it.
then a while after that had started again and i hadnt had the chance to fix it my digital dash suddenly blows, its a seperate component but everything is interconnected through a junction box, resistors burnt and smoke poured from my dash, the dic lights went out too, tho climate control still seems to function, i cant see the display on it, replaced the bcm and the power supply module for the lcds and put in a new speedometer same thing smoke and poof it was gone as well. and also the mirror controls seem to be wired into the bad voltage because when i plug in all the harnesses into the junction it moves my drivers side mirror constantly to the point of it clicking and shows no sign of stopping.
could this all be due to a shorted temp sensor? passing along voltage without the required resistance? or even just that light circuit itself being shorted somewhere? i have a multimeter and could check it if i knew what i was looking for, and also what is the location of the correct temp sensor for that light on a 4.1l? it has 2 temp sensors from what i understand and that is just something i have never screwed with.