Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Canadian service shop for 1999 STS

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Default Canadian service shop for 1999 STS

Do any members know of a good reputable shop in or around the Niagara region of Ontario Canada that services N* engines. I have a 1999 STS that needs to have an engine replacement. The motor has the typical head gasket problem, along with a rear main seal leak. It its a high mileage engine, so I would like to have a fresh motor for the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Tech Certified Members

changing out, R&R, an engine is not a big deal.
any good shop can handle it.

overhauling .. now .. THAT is another story. I dont even like the idea of Northstar overhauls.

make sure that the new engine is compression tested BEFORE they pull it from a wreck .. or if already pulled, then BEFORE you take delivery of it.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the info. I am in discussion with Expert Engines in Toronto. They have given me the info necessary to do what I what to the car. They will remove, rebuild, and re-install the engine. I will update on the progress of this project.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by stomper
changing out, R&R, an engine is not a big deal.
any good shop can handle it.

overhauling .. now .. THAT is another story. I dont even like the idea of Northstar overhauls.

make sure that the new engine is compression tested BEFORE they pull it from a wreck .. or if already pulled, then BEFORE you take delivery of it.

you did see that note?

Old 08-10-2009, 11:23 PM

The engine that's in the car now has a blown head gasket, along with a minor rear seal leak. I contacted Expert Engines in Toronto Ontario, Canada to inquire about repairing this engine. They replied that the engine can be repaired, and gave me some options about the repairs that can be done to this engine. I opted to have the engine dis-assembled, inspected, re-conditioned, then re-installed into the car.

They advised that the engine would have new pistons, rings bearings, oil pump, all updated gaskets and re-conditioned heads installed. The are also the shop that all G.M. warranty work for Northstar engines in southern Ontario. They also advised of there method of installing sleeves to repair the head bolt hole threads.

As they do warranty work for the local Cadillac dealer, I felt that this shop could best repair the engine. They also offer a warranty on the re-conditioned engine. They have also repaired over 600 N* engines successfully. I should expect that the engine in this car will also be repaired successfully. Could I be wrong about my expectations for a repair to this engine?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Grinder
The engine that's in the car now has a blown head gasket, along with a minor rear seal leak. I contacted Expert Engines in Toronto Ontario, Canada to inquire about repairing this engine. They replied that the engine can be repaired, and gave me some options about the repairs that can be done to this engine. I opted to have the engine dis-assembled, inspected, re-conditioned, then re-installed into the car.

They advised that the engine would have new pistons, rings bearings, oil pump, all updated gaskets and re-conditioned heads installed. The are also the shop that all G.M. warranty work for Northstar engines in southern Ontario. They also advised of there method of installing sleeves to repair the head bolt hole threads.

As they do warranty work for the local Cadillac dealer, I felt that this shop could best repair the engine. They also offer a warranty on the re-conditioned engine. They have also repaired over 600 N* engines successfully. I should expect that the engine in this car will also be repaired successfully. Could I be wrong about my expectations for a repair to this engine?

Time-Serts ...

let us know how it all goes ...

Old 08-11-2009, 11:01 AM

I asked about the repair method, and it is not time-serts. They were using this type of repair on warranty engines. It was not a long term fix as we all know. This shop developed a different method of repair. From what I was told they drill out the tapped hole and then install a metal sleeve. This metal sleeve is anchored solidly in the block, then it is re-tapped and with new bolts, gaskets, etc, re-assembled. I am familiar with time-serts being used in the past and, I believe that they are not the way to go in fixing these motors. Anyway I will keep you posted as to how it works out.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Grinder
I asked about the repair method, and it is not time-serts. They were using this type of repair on warranty engines. It was not a long term fix as we all know. This shop developed a different method of repair. From what I was told they drill out the tapped hole and then install a metal sleeve. This metal sleeve is anchored solidly in the block, then it is re-tapped and with new bolts, gaskets, etc, re-assembled. I am familiar with time-serts being used in the past and, I believe that they are not the way to go in fixing these motors. Anyway I will keep you posted as to how it works out.
when it comes to the time-serts, most of us would likely agree with what you said ...
problem is, I believe that the time-serts remains as the "official" GM repair at dealerships ...

therefore, my previous comment ...
"I dont even like the idea of Northstar overhauls."

Old 08-11-2009, 11:27 PM

I called the shop to ask some more about the repair. It is not a time-sert type of repair. I am going to see next week and will report back on whats going on. I appreciate your feed back on this post.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 PM

I just came back from the shop where the engine is being repaired. I have seen the steel sleeve, it is almost the whole length of the head bolt boss. The block was machined, then the sleeve fitted. This sleeve is then tapped for the new head bolts. It is completely different from any other repair I have seen for head gasket issues. Being a machinist, I am impressed with this shop. I fully expect a successful repair. Job should be complete by the end of next week.

Quick Reply: Canadian service shop for 1999 STS