Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Aftermarket Coils.....what a headache! 01 Seville SLS

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Default Aftermarket Coils.....what a headache! 01 Seville SLS

Hello All,
First off I would like to thank the members here for providing a wealth of information and offer a bit of warning.
About two months ago I started to develop a miss at idle, after a little testing I figured it was the rear coil. ( had to be the hard to get to one) I looked up the prices and was surprised to see how much they cost! I ordered a replacement thru fleabay and the miss was gone, yea, or so I thought....about two weeks later here comes another miss, hum replaced one coil to fix a miss I assumed this was the other coil and ordered another. Once installed the miss was still there? Being that our cars will only give up the P0300 random misfire I was stumped. Knowing that I really needed to see what my engine was doing I ordered an ELM327 wifi and Dashcommand ( I use an iPad), I also purchased the extra pids for my year and was then able to see cycl.no. 7 missing, flipped the coils and now its no. 2! Got it now, one of the new coils just can't maintain spark at idle.
When I took out the ICM i realised I was bamboozled, no retention springs, no weather boot, and the ICM had heated to the point of boiling the gel in it! I replaced it with one from the salvage yard and my Seville is finally back to running correctly.
The moral of my story is if the price seems to good to be true there is always a reason for it....the positive of this experience was being able to figure out how to watch live data on a budget.

The ELM327 Wifi is under $20 (wifi for apple, blue tooth for Android)
Dashcommand from the app store with the xtra pids was $30 (for Apple)
I can now record the live data I need to see how my engine really runs, LTFT STFT, o2 sensors, misses in real time, engine and trans temp, MAF, MAP, timing, ect ect. For the price of a full tank of gas I can now see everything going on under the hood from my drivers seat.