Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

97 Seville SLS issues. advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Angry 97 Seville SLS issues. advice needed.

Hey guys.. new to the forum. I picked up a 97 seville a few months ago with only 70000 miles on it. I had taken it to a local dealership to have some things diagnosed. I had some work done replacing radiator fans and some small things it needed. But the main problem the car has is a crankcase seal leak. Shocker right? well, I wasnt going to have the dealership fix it, they wanted around $4000.. The car is in great aesthetic shape. and runs good. It does need a new ICM which i have and was going to change myself. They said the car was not leaking at too high a rate, but i have seen oil stains in driveway and can smell the oil when driving. What should i do? The car is only worth $4500 or so. are their places i can go who will fix this for a reasonable cost. Should i junk the car? sell parts? i would sell car and recoup some $, but i wont sell without disclosing leak like the last person did to me..do you think someone would buy it? . Im pretty sure bars isnt going to help.. what do you guys think.. i need some help. thanks.

Attached Thumbnails 97 Seville SLS issues. advice needed.-img_2142.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 03:51 PM

well i dont know to tell you the truth. Would a used engine be cheaper. These cadilacs based on main stay gms chevy models. If was in uk would be lots of cheap engines in junkyards. Not sure what 4500 is in shillings and pence but sure sounds a large amount. Is there no cheaper remedy i would ask my self

Old 04-12-2012, 11:50 PM

if it was me I would just drive it and monitor oil level. My 96 has leaked minor oil since I bought it. Best tip is to keep the oil level about mid in the range on the dipstick. The higher it is the more it leaks

Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Default Keep it!

Greetings Byrd,

It's a stunning automobile, and you drive for far less than I paid

Monitor the oil level. Make it a point to check at fill up (like we used to do as a matter of practice, and the full service stations did)

I've had an engine rebuild years ago, alas, it too leaks. There's a catch pan on the drive where she sits idle awaiting me to drive her

You'll get years of driving pleasure with a little inconvenience.