Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

2003 Seville SLS Electrical Problems - need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Default 2003 Seville SLS Electrical Problems - need help

Hi,
I am hoping I can get some assistance. I have an issue with my 2003 Seville sls (140,000 miles).

Recently the dashboard started showing a message that said the charging system was not working. The battery was no longer charging. I understood this to be an issue with the alternator. So I bought a used alternator and began the long process of removing and installing this used alternator (removed and loosened cooling fan, etc).

After installing the alternator and putting everything back together the car started right up. When I toggled the display to show voltage it was reading around 13 volts (on my drive it went from 12.5 to 14. 5 roughly). However during my initial drive the security light came on. It also mentioned an issue with the theft detection system. When I pulled the car into my garage, I shut it off. When I started it again it did not start. The dash board lights came on but it would not even turn over the engine... no noise at all.

I tried to reset the security system by locking the doors with the remote key pod and then opened the door with the key. But, it still does not start.

I am right now charging the battery to see if perhaps a weak battery was calling some issues.

Does anyone have any ideas for why the car does not start?

Thanks

Old 12-29-2010, 04:04 PM

I decided to have the battery checked. The battery (which is only a couple of months old) tested BAD at the Walmart. So Walmart traded it for a NEW battery. However when I installed the new battery I get the same response. The dashboard lights come on and no other activity (no clicks on the starter or anything).

I am wondering if I should pull the alternator and have it tested. Could it be shorting? Could it have ruined any other components? Could it have ruined the battery?

Ughhh, I hate electrical problems... anyone have a clue as to what I should check?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:37 PM

Fixed it. I decided to attack the alternator again. This in itself is a job. Remove the radiator and then cooling fans and a few other things and then I can finally get to the alternator. When I got to the alternator I noticed the bolt that holds the grounding wire was real loose. It never got tightened completely. I think I originally tightened it as much as I could but then when I tightened the other bolts it probably became loose. Anyway, after finding this I tightened the bolt and put the radiator back and VOILA the car started...

What a pain. Still I don't know why the battery was tested bad... but I ended up with a new one.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

glad to see that you found the problem ... also suggest that you read the e-ghosts thread in our FAQ section and specially the use of dielectric grease on connections.