Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

1998 Seville SLS security light on, service theft system, power windows don't work

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Cool 1998 Seville SLS security light on, service theft system, power windows don't work

I bought a 1998 Seville SLS last year, unknown to me it had a bad engine. Had engine replaced but can't get power windows to work. Security light is always on as well as service theft system. This all may have been this way even before new engine. Have one valet key, 2 transponder keys that I had made using information from Cadillac and a locksmith. Had extra keys without transponders to open doors if locked out made, they also start engine since the theft system does not work. I didn't know this before I paid all the extra for the transponder keys. Starts Ok just would like to get windows to work. Other Cadillac owners have told me if I get Theft System reprogramed windows will work. Was ready to do this and asked Cadillac about it. All three in area said this would not fix window problem. Does anyone know if it will? I will glady paid the $120 to $150 they stared to do this if it will fix the windows.

I have tried several of the solutions on this forum but none have worked. Fuses all ok, switched relay with seat relay which works, still no go. Disconnected all window switches and tried each individually still no go. Moon roof does work. Appreciate any help.

Last edited by eyeu81; 09-20-2010 at 07:42 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 09-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Certified Members

The power windows do not operate from a fuse. They use a circuit breaker. It should be located in the rear compartment(trunk) fuse block.
Test the circuit breaker with an ohm meter...it should have 0-2 ohms resistance. If it does not, replace it. If it does, check to see if the is 12v power at the circuit breaker terminal in the fuse box. If there is no power, you'll need to check the entire circuit. If there is power, and the circuit breaker is good, then there is a problem in the wiring.

I don't know if the security system has anything to do with the windows...I don't see anything on the wiring diagram that would suggest the two systems are connected...

hth

Old 09-26-2010, 11:12 PM

Thanks hth (Adams' Apple,)

The power seats work and have the same circuit breaker so I switched it and still no windows. I will check for 12 volts at circuit. I did try to search wires with a short detector that I got at Harbor Freight but it did not fine short.
Rick

Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Tech Certified Members

In your original post you stated you had swapped the relays. Might just be a difference of terminology here, but a relay and a circuit breaker are two different components. Just want to be sure we are talking about the same thing.

For sure, check for 12v at the circuit breaker, and go from there. It's not likely that ALL of the window switches are bad, so it's prolly not gonna be anything like that. Have you tested for power & ground at the driver side switches yet? You say "I have tried several of the solutions on this forum but none have worked.", but we don't know what all it was you tried, so we gotta start with the basics.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 AM

I appreciate your help Adam Apple. I had read post about module behind back seat so took out seat and before I got do anything else the windows started working and have since. I must have giggled something? Still have security light on with car running yesterday wouldn't start and dash said starter disabled remove key. Extra key didn't work either, treid to reprogram key with turn on wait 10 minute for security light to go out then repeat 2 more times. Still no good. Let it set a few hours and then it started. Security light still on and now says service security system. From waht I have read need to get reprogramed or I may get stranded.