Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

01 STS front speakers muffled/crackling (bose) .. BOSE audio system design

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Default 01 STS front speakers muffled/crackling (bose) .. BOSE audio system design

Suddenly both front door speakers in my Seville started to be muffled and crackly at the same time. Would this be blown speakers or an amplifier issue? I'm leaning towards an amplifier issue because both speakers started the problem at the same time. Any info or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I have the Bose system in my car.

Last edited by Stealth; 09-17-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Tech Certified Members

BOSE speakers have a dedicated amp per speaker, mounted at the speaker enclosure .. so .. wouldnt that rule out the amps?

I be leaning to a connector being the problem.

Originally Posted by steveoa1
Suddenly both front door speakers in my Seville started to be muffled and crackly at the same time. Would this be blown speakers or an amplifier issue? I'm leaning towards an amplifier issue because both speakers started the problem at the same time. Any info or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I have the Bose system in my car.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:39 PM

Im thinking water. Might be some corrosion there.
Ever notice that after a wash you cant roll down the widows for about a day without them coming back up being wet and streaky ?

The window seals are not that good on the 01s'. And to make matters worse. GM put some kinda insulation blocks inside the door skins. So the water pools and will eventually rust through from the inside, and also possibly run off and corrode wiring on the inside.
Its possible it may be your problem.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 PM

wow my 99 doing the same thing on drivers speaker. i think its just going bad, whenyour listening to it at any level say 4 bars and up youll hear what sounds like the cone popping yet it really dont have a cone being an all plastic graded outside speaker. o well if it dont bother much maybe slightly fading it to rear could help a tad.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Tech Certified Members

not the same issue.

the one with one speaker issue, is probably a capacitor failing in the AMP.

the other one with both speakers is probably a connector or a wiring issue.

Originally Posted by 99STSGUY
wow my 99 doing the same thing on drivers speaker. i think its just going bad, whenyour listening to it at any level say 4 bars and up youll hear what sounds like the cone popping yet it really dont have a cone being an all plastic graded outside speaker. o well if it dont bother much maybe slightly fading it to rear could help a tad.
Originally Posted by steveoa1

Old 09-16-2009, 01:11 AM
Tech Certified Members

i have similar issues with my front speakers but after awile being played the are fine. i plan on replacing the front and rear doors with better quality speakers with alpines or JL.

One new thing i noticed is sometimes when the radio first comes on only the dash speakers will work and if i adjust it to the rear one notch then it kicks all the speakers on. then i put the setting back to where it was and every thing is fine. not sure what that would be but it only happened twice.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Certified Members

i just had my passenger dr frt speaker replaced. i had talked it up on the forum a couple time, and got good info. i also was told it may be an amp, because sometimes it sounded good. intermittent. i took'r to a local stereo shop here in town, and asked what they thought. i also asked about the amp within the speaker. his response was for sure speaker, and that the amps are not with in the speaker. however, got a speaker from a from another seville and replaced it........ all is well
rickyd

http://www.carstereohelp.com/cadillac.htm check this site out, if you need to call this shop feel free. the guy is GREAT and will help anyway he can. he e-mail me directions on how to remove speaker, etc..... GOOD GUY!!! let him know you heard of him through the Cadillac Forum

Last edited by rickyd; 09-16-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by rickyd
i just had my passenger dr frt speaker replaced. i had talked it up on the forum a couple time, and got good info. i also was told it may be an amp, because sometimes it sounded good. intermittent. i took'r to a local stereo shop here in town, and asked what they thought. i also asked about the amp within the speaker. his response was for sure speaker, and that the amps are not with in the speaker. however, got a speaker from a from another seville and replaced it........ all is well
rickyd

http://www.carstereohelp.com/cadillac.htm check this site out, if you need to call this shop feel free. the guy is GREAT and will help anyway he can. he e-mail me directions on how to remove speaker, etc..... GOOD GUY!!! let him know you heard of him through the Cadillac Forum

the AMPs are not within the speaker, they are in the speaker enclosure.
IF they are BOSE
, that is the way they design their systems .. each speaker has its own AMP.

if someone changed them from the originals, all bets are off.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Certified Members

with a recall to the shop..... my guy still is saying that the amps, amp is not within the speaker enclosure..... on the car. however, he did say he will confirm his statement, with research and get back to me..... i'll do the same. thanks
rick

Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rickyd
with a recall to the shop..... my guy still is saying that the amps, amp is not within the speaker enclosure..... on the car. however, he did say he will confirm his statement, with research and get back to me..... i'll do the same. thanks
rick

In some cars, the main Bose unit (pre-AMP) is in the trunk, under the dash, or elsewhere.

every bose system also has several other amps that i bet most dont know about.

each of the big speakers in the doors has its own built in amp that sits right by it and same goes for the any rear panel or shelf speakers. these are connected with a 5 wire connector: power+ , power- , signal + , signal- , and remote power. These amp units tend to be the ones that fail, usually the capacitors. Why? people drive the sound system and bass to FULL POWER and like anything else that is used at full power, they dont last as long.

hope that helps your shop guy!

Last edited by Stealth; 09-17-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 01 STS front speakers muffled/crackling (bose) .. BOSE audio system design