Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

01 Seville Won't Start, No Dash, No Locks, No Windows

Old 04-30-2010, 02:49 AM
Default 01 Seville Won't Start, No Dash, No Locks, No Windows

I just fixed this gremlin, so I am posting the symptoms and the solution for future use.

The car is a 2001 Seville with no trouble codes prior to the problem.

I tried to use the car three days ago and the doors were locked, but I didn't lock them because the car is parked in a garage. The doors opened with the key fob, but the car wouldn't start. It was dead. Dead, dead as in no dash, the electric windows and door locks wouldn't work, and there were no relay clicks when the key turned the ignition. It didn't start and the onboard diagnostic wouldn't work. Nothing. I got out of the car and closed the door and the doors locked behind me, only I didn't use the fob, the car locked me out. I figured that something set off the security system. So I used the key to open the door, got in and it started and worked fine for a couple of trips.

Two days ago my wife tried to use the car and it was dead, no dash, no start, no lights, no windows, no electric locks. This time it didn't lock her out. I checked the battery and the green light was glowing. I figured the battery was low so I hooked up a trickle charger. That evening, it started so we went to dinner and a movie. Three trips, no problems.

Yesterday, I tried to use the car and it was dead again. The battery was at 11.5 volts and the green light was off.

This morning, dead. I bought a new battery. (I went with the OEM A/C Delco 79-6YR, because it cost a little less than the Interstate GP79 and even less than Schuck’s Superstart. Sears had some cheap batteries, but they were both under 840 CCA.)

After the battery was installed, the security light was flashing with the key out of or in the ignition and the car would not start. I read up on the theft deterrent system. The factory manual says the theft deterrent control module commands the security indicator only when the ignition key is on so it was kind of strange that the light was flashing with the key out of the ignition.

After about fifteen minutes of flashing, the security light went off and the car went back to being dead. Just like before, only now I have a new battery. Oh well, old battery didn't have much reserve capacity anyway.

I read a bunch of prior posts on the symptoms and the rear integration module seemed to be a likely culprit. The service manual confirmed that all of the devices involved in the symptoms are controlled by the module. I cleaned ground G401, but it was not the problem. So I removed the RIM thru the trunk, opened up the black case, inspected both sides of the circuit board, and couldn't see any burned circuits. I found the rear integration module connector end views in the manual and tested the ground circuits. Both were fine. Then I tested the power circuits and found 2 volts at pin A1 the battery positive voltage. It should be 12 V. The wiring diagram showed the power came thru IGN SW 15 amp fuse.

When I tried to pull the IGN SW fuse with the ignition on, lights came on and relays were clicking everywhere as soon as I moved the fuse. This gremlin was a bad contact between the fuse and the fuse box. The rear integration module was OK.

I hope this post helps someone.

Last edited by 2001_Seville_SLS; 04-30-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:28 PM

Where did you find the RIM located in the trunk?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Default RIM location

Originally Posted by scott67
Where did you find the RIM located in the trunk?
The RIM is most easily accessed thru the trunk behind the right rear passenger seat.