Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

Taking apart a taillight assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default Taking apart a taillight assembly?

I would appreciate any tips to removal of the outer clear lens over the taillight. What tool is best? etc. My left taillight is dull because of moisture water spotting the inside of the lens. Left side is dimmer because of it. Thanks!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Taking apart a taillight assembly?

ORIGINAL: carnut

I would appreciate any tips to removal of the outer clear lens over the taillight. What tool is best? etc. My left taillight is dull because of moisture water spotting the inside of the lens. Left side is dimmer because of it. Thanks!
Bill,

I seen several attempts to do that, not seen any with success.
It seems the plastic just breaks ...

I would try swishing some liquid that removes calcium deposits (CLR ?)
the external surface can be resurfaced and buffed just like the paint.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4114503AAB5cYH

Old 03-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Zal, wasn't there a thread here regarding the different products for cleaning the lenses?

Old 03-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Gary,

there are kits to do the exterior surfaces and work really well .. I have done some lights with the same products one uses to get a mirror finish on the paint .. we were informed that the plastic light housings are made of the same materials as PPG paints.

But .. the inside is a bit tougher, mainly due to access. I have no knowledge of anyone taking off the outer lens w/o damage .. so let me offer something I use in photography ...

- something to get the calcium deposits (water spots) off .. white vinegar watered down with distilled water .. making it stronger if the spots dont come off. pour it inside, schussing around for a few minutes, drain.

- AFTER the vinegar, something to super clean the surface w/o scrubbing .. clear distilled Vodka, pure, not watered down .. pure. Then air dry in the shade.

I havent tried that in the Allante arrays, but I used that in $1,000 lenses with mint results.

Another benefit, you can clean out your throat at the same time.

last note .. there are little sponges attached to long 12 inch handles in the kitchen dept .. some of these can reach from the socket holes to the lens .. good for the vinegar step .. the VODKA dont need that .. use vodka to rinse only.

===================

Bill,

Also, in making a 15 year old car look nice, when it comes to stains, this collection may help:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/stain-removal.htm