Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

hard top conversion kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Default hard top conversion kit?

how many out here have used the $2 hard top conversion method? there is a kit for $129 and another for $275 also which i hear is a very professional looking conversion.but the real question is the $2 eye bolts which is essentially the $129 kit if i'm not mistaken.please anyone with any hard top conversion jump in this.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: hard top conversion kit?

For the most part, the conversions are small in numbers. Most of us get the real McCoy or fly with the rag top.

However, I know that Fox is using the $2 conversion, you will need to ask her how well it works
Fox is one that WILL tell you the truth without B.S.

I have a H.T. which collects dust 330 days out of each year. But, when I need it, I really need it.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:11 PM

hi stealth.today i completed my hardtop conversion.it cost me every bit of $2.13.tomorrow i will try the fitment out and make any nesssary adjustments.the method i used is called the "2 bolt " method and i did it with the help of dunitall and a couple others from the other forum.we will see what happens? fox, whats up.give me the lowdown?

UPDATE: today i tryed the top on for fitment and after adjusting the j hooks took the beast for a nice cruise.all went well.took the top back off to send out for the pearl white paint job.the bolt seems to hold the j hooks very secure.so far,so good.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:58 PM

UPDATE to the UPDATE: i will get the hardtop back on friday again but i really lost a piece of reality.i need instructions for installing the hardtop because yesterday i couldn't get the rear hardtop pulldown motor to pull the hardtop latch hookdown.i don't have a sim nor any kind of hardtop instructions.i hear their is a manual pull down switch or cord under the softtop cover or something and i need to know the sequences for installation ie;with softtop folded down and cover closed put hardtop in position making sure the side pins are in their holes,second latch the winsheild header to the hardtop,third pulldown the rear latch on the hardtop using the switch under the softtop cover,fourth attach the j hooks on both sides of the top and if everything is ajusted right...viola your hardtop is now on.of course like i said i lost reality so i'm just babbling right now and don't know my butt from the hardtop.i need the info so i can get my top fully operational. my biggest problem is the rear pull down which won't work.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Tech Certified Members

Hi Jono...

Ah, the trails and tribulations of the Allante top. I am not too versed in it- but I do know that the hard top is Aluminum and will NOT cycle the pull down motor on its own - because it will not complete the circuit. Make sure the pulldown motor is in the up position and that the latch captures the little rear center loop. You will need to position the roof on the car so it is centered - and make sure the little latches on the side panel - by the little rear windows are released, and make sure the j-hooks can latch onto your $2.00 conversion kit bolts. You then push the little rocker switch under the soft top storage well (it is just to the left of the leavers that pop open the soft top cowl and release the pull down latch). It will cycle the pull down motor and pull down the rear of the hardtop. You then need to latch the front j-hooks, and then hook the side latches firmly.

Good luck - after the first time, it really does make sense.

Do you have the owners manual - not the full service manual - but the one that lives in the glove box? Mine is a '93 and the owner's manual sort of helped me - the instructions begin on page 105 on mine, it talks about different things, because the '93 hard top is different - but the sequence was there - and the pictures sort of helped.

I like the $2.00 kit OK - but it does look a little tacky - I might figure out something - or get the nice one that is on eBay for a couple of hundred (the $100+ eyebolts don't see worth it to me).

Oh, I think I read that you found the little plastic covers that go around the visors (that you have to drill to do the $2.00 conversion kit). Do you have the source - or have a way to get some more - one of mine is missing, and the other one is in terrible shape - so I just took it off. Thanks!!!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:32 AM

hello foxpaws.when i get my top back i will try your instructions first.i have gotten lots of info but yours seems a little more straight foward to me(not that the others weren't good also).i purchased my sunvisor cover capfrom allantesource.they are $20 each or cadillac king which will only sell pairs for $50.the allantesource one was brand new and i think ck's are used.they only had the neutral color( but mines looked sort of grayish).2 weeks ago idyed my hardtop interior black and had some dye left over so i just shot the part black,no problem.i really appreciate all the good folks here who have helped me out with my allante woes.i will post again when i get the top back.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:48 AM
Default 2,00 conversion kit

what do I have to do how big does the bolts have to how do I do it.