Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

Cadillac Allante ABS RELAY

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default Cadillac Allante ABS RELAY

Recently, there have been several failures of ABS Relays. When this relay fails, your ABS will be disables and the car undrivable. Relay is available and costs around $45. The relay is expected to fail from daily use - probably not a bad itme to be had in the trunk as a spare.

Info from the Cadillac Allante and Allanté XYZ facts .. thread

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_6551/tm.htm

======================

BRAKES, ABS Relay, ABS Pump, ABS Ac***ulator - The brake relay on the 87 through 92 Allante supplies power to the brake pump that pressurizes the ac***ulator when the system calls for it. Should any of the three fail, the ABS stops working. The relay (pn 1636972) is currently available new and found behind the coolant system reservoir . The pump and ac***ulator are available as rebuilt units.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:56 AM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)
Default RE: ABS RELAY

Posted by Flacko93 on another site.

As for the brake relays that Bill and I ordered from GMPartsdirect, after two weeks, we both got e-mails saying the parts were on some infinite backorder, and our orders were cancelled.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: wcoates

Posted by Flacko93 on another site.

As for the brake relays that Bill and I ordered from GMPartsdirect, after two weeks, we both got e-mails saying the parts were on some infinite backorder, and our orders were cancelled.

Bill,

not good news. these relays wear out, no IFs, no BUTs.
dang it, i dont have a spare. can you believe that? no spare.

personal favor?
if you find some, buy a spare for my '88, I will cover you on the cost.

thanks

Old 10-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Tech Certified Members

You could see if NAPA or Carquest can cross relay P/N,if they can you may get a relay to it rolling again.Hope it helps

Old 10-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Tried NAPA, Pep boys, and Autozone yesterday. will check Carquest and report back!

Old 10-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: wcoates

Tried NAPA, Pep boys, and Autozone yesterday. will check Carquest and report back!
Well?

Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 AM

Called three carquests after 6:00 Pm and received no answer. Will try tomorrow.(If memory holds up!)

Old 10-09-2007, 12:28 PM

[/quote]

Well?
[/quote]

Carquest can not get! refences a Standard Motor Part ry485!

Old 10-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Bill
Reminds ofone good reason why I sold my 92 and kept the 93. That was not a dig, it's just a reason why.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Gary,

relays are not alien technology and can be custom made be dozens of shops across the country, even yourself.
this relay is not a deal breaker, specially since it cannot even be seen - it can even look different and still pass the specs.

of more concern are "COSMETIC" plastic items that are falling apart after 15+ years of exposure to UV and daily wear and tear : weather strip seals, grill, tail arrays come to mind.

now that i said that, it be a good idea to locate and pick up the remaining relays on the shelves (they are out there) by someone like Dick .. and .. hopefully NOT by a reseller like someone in S.D. that will jack the price to $500 like it was done with the silver ingots before any of us got any, AFTER WE discovered them.

Quick Reply: Cadillac Allante ABS RELAY