Need help with 1994 Brougham engine assembly

Old 01-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Default Need help with 1994 Brougham engine assembly

Hi all, this is my first post here and I need some help. I'm a technician at a 4 bay repair shop west of Philadelphia, PA. A customer has a 94 Brougham, black over tan leather, and it had some overheating issues that caused a head gasket to blow.

One of our technicians pulled the heads and they were sent out to a local machine shop for inspection/resurfacing/etc. Well the guy that took the engine apart got fired and I have to put the thing back together. Lucky me.

The problem is the number and variety of fasteners used to attach the exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, and front-mounted accessory mount castings. While the guy who took the engine apart did put the fasteners for various areas in separate boxes, there are still some mysteries to be solved. Like slightly different length fasteners. Plus, I don't know that I can really trust his grouping because one of the short head bolts has yet to be found.

What I'd like to see are pictures or descriptions of what kind of fastener is used, say, on the RH exhaust manifold, from rear to front. I know that some fasteners have "stud heads" to attach lifting brackets and accessories.

Pictures (close ups) with the air cleaner off would help with intake manifold reassembly.

The front accessory mounts are really a challenge with the placement of the Torx head screws.

Anything anyone can provide would really help me out. Otherwise I'll be trying about 50,000 variations of bracket placement and fastener use.

I'm at about the point where I'm going to chase down a 95 Brougham I see drive by the shop once a week or so and beg the guy to let me examine his car for half an hour. LOL

Help!

I had a Cadillac of my own years ago. A 79 Seville I bought in about 1986. It was a light blue metallic example with light blue leather. Had everything except the digital dash and CB radio. Man did that thing fly with it's injected Olds 350. The disc brakes gave me fits, though, and I think I rebuilt or replaced the rear calipers at least 5 times without much success. I found a guy near me selling a 78 Elegante and I traded my wheels/tires/wire wheelcovers to him for the Elegante's PH8 wire wheels. I immediately bought new centers and lug nuts from GM, which cost me fortune. When I sold my Seville years later I kept the wire wheels for possible use on another Seville purchase. Hasn't happened yet so it probably never will. I guess I need to think about selling that wire wheel setup.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Tech Certified Members

If your still having fun with this. Possibly a GM dealer would let have a copy of the pages of the service manual you need. Other possibility would be if shop owner would subscribe to All Data for service information. That would be the best long term solution since all data will have information on about anything you would work on. Good Luck