Fleetwood some white smoke at the exhaust!

Old 03-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Default Fleetwood some white smoke at the exhaust!

Hello Everyone!

I have a 1993 Fleetwood Brougham and I've been having some overheating problems, and the heat was blowing cold so I thought it could be the thermostat. So, I changed it! No I don't know. It's totally not running the same. I don't know, Now when I drive it for maybe 10 minutes it smokes under the hood and it smells like oil, I see a lil leakage from the top passenger side by the valve cover gasket. And it blows white smoke out the back. I don't know I don't wanna think the worse. And it has oil in it, I may have put too much oil in it, when I heard it ticking from the overheating I put oil in it and it haven't stop. But I haven't put and water or antifreeze in it lately and I haven't seen any smoke in the back and I really haven't drove it cause I'm afraid I might get stranded wit my daughter again. When I smell the oil in the front after driving I cant go over a certain speed and it stalls then cuts off, so I have to wait damn near an half hour to an hour until it cools off to get to the house ASAP or it will do it again. DO anyone have any suggestions? Please I'm not the smartest person dealing wit cars but my god I love my Fleetwood! And it's not a Northstar! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default A few things need to be checked

When an engine overheats the oil is severely degraded so you should always change the oil immediately after experiencing an overheating condition. The oil is degraded so badly that it will provide very little protection so this may be reason you are now hearing a ticking, valve noise possible. You say you have not added water or antifreeze lately. How is the level ? When the engine is overheated it will misfire and act up like you describe.

It sounds like you have put too much oil in it and that is why it is pumping out,

As for overheating, have you checked for leaks, water pump, reservoir tank, radiator, hoses, intake manifold. Before you drive it make sure the antifreeze level is topped up then you can determine if it is leaking.

As for not being a Northstar it doesn't matter one bit. All engines can overheat when coolant is low or gaskets are leaking.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:21 AM
Default White smoke

White smoke is generally water in combustion chamber, I hate to think the worst too but cracked block or head gaskets is where I'd be looking at this point.