Auto antenna problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Auto antenna problems!!

I would disconnect the antenna lead under the hood. The fuse powers more than just the antenna motor.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1989 fleetwood

hey socal im also 18 years old with a 89 fleetwood with theexact same problem. My name is even chris to, kinda weird. but on my car there is a connector in the trunk with the antenna assembly that i just diconnected. My antenna is always up but it does the job.
I think the problem is not the same .. yours moves .. right?
his didnt move and probably had a broken belt.

if yours goes up and down, you may have a bad limit switch or a couple teeth stripped of the belt at its end.

I keep a spare "belt" for such occasions.

lets us know which problem you got?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:59 PM

I wrote this post before i looked at the date of the first Chris' problem, but I'll leave the info here anyway, incase it is of valve to someone else.

Hey Chris, I have an 86 Brougham D'Elegance as well, and it had the same problem.. it would help to know if the antenna is up or down, if up , that better, you can still get reception while looking for your replacement.. but here's the best part, you can unplug the antenna motor power supply easily.. under the hood, next to the heater blowerer box assembly you'll see a wire that goes into a cut-out in your fender ( right below the base of the antenna) pull that wire out a bit, there will be some slack, and you will locate the connector plug for the antenna, just disconnect the plugs... easy .

If your antenna runs only when it goes down, but stops when it goes up, then disconnect it when it's up and it will stay that way. and you won't have to pull fuses and you can listen to your radio.

By the way, I forund a few replacement antennes from the pick your part salvage yard for under 20.00, putting them in is a challange, because you have to remove a part of your inner tire well and manuver the old one out, and the new one in thru a rather tricky tunnel, it's not hard but requires lots of patience.
Let me know if I can be of any help, or if you'd like some advice on how to pick a used antenna from the yards that still works, even though you'll have no waty to test it there ( I have a common sense system for finding them)
Good luck with it.

Matt

Old 07-10-2015, 12:02 PM

I have the same problem with my antenna stuck in up position. I just want to disconnect the power so that the motor doesn't drain the battery. I don't care if it stays stuck in the up position. Can I just remove the fuse and be done? Thanks.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:17 PM

It's easier to unplug the power sups as indicated above. My antenna would go up but not retract. I cleaned the contacts in the plug and it worked as normal. I was lucky that was all it needed. I didn't like the idea of removing the fuse. Sometimes other functions affected by fuse removal.