1994 Fleetwood Air Ride Rear Not Deflating

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Default 1994 Fleetwood Air Ride Rear Not Deflating

Read other threads, didnt find this exact problem anywhere.

Some History First:
Problem started after lifting and putting on 4 new tires.

It’s been very cold here lately.

The compressor cycles when ignition is turned on for a few seconds every time, no exhaust sounds from solenoid.

The rear air shocks are fully inflated and the car rides like a truck with loud clunking coming out of the back on bumps. Looks like a flipping drag car!! Rear end is way up, about 3 to 4 inches easy. Last week I checked the height sensor, which seemed to be working to turn the compressor on, but would not open the solenoid to let the air out when I manually rotated the arm. I checked the computer for codes and found nothing. There are no faults on the dash either. After exiting the information system, turning the ignition off and then back on, the control cycled the compressor and then opened the solenoid to release the air (coincidence?), then suspension worked fine, for a few days. I had the car in a heated garage as I was checking this by the way. Then gradually it statred to inflate the rear shocks with every turn of the key and now again the shocks are fully inflated and the car is clunking again. Bad solenoid? Bad control system? Should I adjust the linkage? Lifting the car should not have affected the linage, should it? Also, if anyone knows, can I manually exhaust the system of air and pull the fuse on the compressor until I can permanently fix the problem? As a former engineer that worked at GM all I can say is….You have to be kidding me. What engineering school group of flunkies came up with this set up? Would it not of been easier, cheaper and customer friendly to just add switches to the dash and a level to manually adjust the pressure for occupant comfort. If I pull the air shocks out and replace with passive shocks will the rear springs hold the load?

Thanks for the help

Old 02-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Default Temp Fix

Update and temporary fix:

Compressor located under front left side of engine compartment behind wheel well. Its under the air box with filter. The easiest way to access is to remove plastic panel from the wheel well and trim on front left side of car (drivers side), five or six screws/bolts total. You can not just remove the trim that gives you the access you need, because plastic panel hides the one bolt that holds it on. There is also a spring at the bottom of trim holding it tight to the fender. To temporarily fix the problem you can pull the air line off compressor, located toward front of car and accessed through side hole that trim piece covers, remove the clip and pull the line. This will release the air, and then replace line and clip making sure the clip is properly seated in the slots on the fitting, and put trim and panel back on. It takes a little bit of finger pressure to get the air line and the compressor fitting to properly seat before the clip will find the slots. I'm hoping when it warms up (-9 here today) the system will start bleeding the air automatically again. I have a feeling the water from the compressor turned to ice and has plugged the exhaust and is not letting thee system work properly.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default Canadian Eh ?

You must be in Canada. Isn't winter fun? I like your assumption about a frozen exhaust port. Suppose to warm up to 6 degrees this weekend in Ontario.