Cadillac EXT The functionality of a pickup truck combined with the space of an SUV and the Cadillac luxury

Faulty door handles on 2007 Escalade

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:40 PM

halldb10 and jhg66,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Have either of you been to the dealer for this issue? If you have not, I would suggest visiting your dealer to see what they can do for you. Please get back to me with this information and we will go from there.

Thank you,
Evan, Cadillac Customer Service

Old 01-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

The door handles on the GMC Yukon & Sierra , Chevy Tahoe & Silverado and Cadillac Escalade are a weak area on these vehicles. The doors are very heavy and the action of the handle actually bends the rods inside the door that releases the locks forcing the user to pull harder and harder to get the door open. Most GM dealers stock these parts becuase tow truck drivers are snapping them off daily. The part is roughly $100 so a quote of $220 is pretty good. You could learn how to fix it yourself, it takes about 45 minutes to an hour.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 AM

My dealer, Claude Nolan of Jacksonville, repaired two handles on my 2007 EXT at no cost, in about 45 minutes. I bought my 2007 new from Nolan Cadillac, and they have provided excellent service. It has 76M miles on it and the handles are the only problem that I have had with it. Some people say that my EXT is just a spruced-up Avalanche, but I doubt that there is any Avalanche owner that wouldn't rather be driving a EXT. Just my opinion. This is my second EXT...I'm obviously sold on Cadillac.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 AM

@chopperhopper, I am glad to read that you are happy with the dealership and the vehicle.

If you would like me to file a dealership compliment please, let me know.

Michelle, Cadillac Customer Service

Old 01-11-2012, 06:36 AM

Go ahead and file the compliment. Bruce Strickland, the Sales Manager, is the best sales person that I know of. I have bought a total of 4 new GM vehicles, from him, in the last 13 years; 1998 SS Camaro, 2002 Silverado HD-2500, 2003 Cadillac EXT, and my current 2007 EXT.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Default 07 EXT door handle problems

I have a 07 Escalade EXT and my two rear door handles are coming off. After seeing this thread I contacted Cadillac customer service who worked with my dealer to fix the problem for $100. That is much better than the $600 my dealer originally quoted. However I still can’t believe they are charging me for door handles that are falling off a $60k truck.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:37 AM

I took my Escalde to Massey Cadillac here in Orlando, FL and they were great. They fixed it at no cost. I'm a happy Cadillac owner again. My tire monitor system just went out. Oh well. Got to take it back.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Default Broken Escalade Doorhandles

I have owned two EXTs, and the only problem that I have had was two broken door handles. My 2007 has 80M miles on it, but my dealer replaced them at no cost to me, even though it was out of warranty. I am very pleased with my EXT! This is just my opinion, not based on facts, that the broken door handle is an engineering problem, and probably should have been put on a recall. However, it is not a safety problem, so Cadillac probably decided not to recall, but replace any broken handles, if an owner complained. Saves the company millions of $$. Some dealers will replace them free of charge, and some won't. My dealer did. The sad thing is that this is a $60M+ vehicle and these type problems shouldn't happen. Again, this is strictly my opinion and is not based on factual information. This is the only thing that has happened to my vehicle after 80M miles, so I am a happy Escalade EXT owner.

Attached Thumbnails Faulty door handles on 2007 Escalade-002.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 01:06 PM

I also just recently upgraded from a Yukon to and escalade and my rear passenger door handle is broken and separating from the door. It is frustrating because i purchased an extended warranty on this 2008 but this isn't covered. My GMC Yukon never had this issue and I had that for 4 years. Any suggestions?

UOTE=halldb10;43787]My 2007 door handle broke a couple days ago also. I also own a 2009 STS and the drivers seat motor went on that. I had to pay to repair it and now the rear inset on the driver's seat is falling out. Paid too much for these vehicles for the cosmetics to be so frail.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Default Cadillac door handle problem

Your dealer (if he is a Cadillac dealership) should repair the handle at no cost. If he won't, I would contact Cadillac customer service. In my opinion, this should not be a warranty issue...I think that it is an engineering defect.

Quick Reply: Faulty door handles on 2007 Escalade