Cadillac Escalade The full sized sport utility vehicle that has combined the versatility of an SUV with the luxury associated with the Cadillac name

Speedometer Going Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Default Speedometer Going Nuts

I recently bought a 2005 ESV with 70,000 miles on it, really clean inside, one owner from the dealer that sold it orginally. The person who sold it bought a new one from the same dealer. Anyway I got a problem with the speedometer,twice now the gauge goes to full speed sitting still. I havenotlinked it with any certian thing happening and I do not get a service light. If I turnthe ignitionoff and back on it will not reset. After a little driving it will start to go down and when I am sitting still it will read 65. At this point if I turn theignition on and off justenough to engage the starter it will go lower and lower untill it is back to zero. Checked speed with another car and it is close. Being in MI and the lovely weather we get, it see some salt and goes to the car wash regulary. I've read some other post about electrial connections and the use of dielectrice grease. Also found guysonlineoffering tocompletly rebuild the dash with all new lights and stepper motors, is this a common issue ?

I just finished cleaning the battery terminal and the main ground and two other small ground straps, and used the electrical grease. I willdrive it and see if it helps.

Anyone with other ideas I am all ears!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Speedometer Going Nuts

You need a new cluster. It will need to be programmed so a trip to the dealer will be required. It will run between 300 to 500 to fix depending on your area.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the reply Slowroll, I drove it around today and it happened again. I did notice that automatic radio did adjust when I came to a stop even with the speedo at 120 mph. So I was leaning towards the gauge myself.

Again thanks.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:26 PM

Before you go spend the money, check out the class action lawsuit against GM for broken speedo's on most GMC "truck" vehicles from 2003 - 2005, i.e. your Cadillac.

My wifes 2004 Escalade speedo cluster was completely replaced for free at the dealer before her warrenty was over.

The class action lawsuit will reimburse you 100% IF it's under 70,000 miles, parts only from 70,000-80,000 miles, and nothing over 80,000 miles.

Since it appears you bought it with just 70,000 I would go back to the dealer for a 100% replacement for free, from the dealer, on the spot. They know darn well that this lawsuit exists.

PM me if you would like me to scan the paperwork and email you a copy...

(FWIW: My 2004 Silverado had the same exact problem, and of course it JUST started happening once I hit 70,000 miles, which means I'll get the parts reimbursed but not the labor...)

Old 01-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Tech Certified Members

There is a 'Special Policy' extending coverage of clusters on 03-04 c/k trucks, which stevescalade is referring to. At this time there is no special policy covering clusters on 2005 and later c/k trucks, that may change if owners let GM know. However buying used out of warranty vehicles regardless of who made them, can limit the factory involvement on out of warranty repairs.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:40 PM

This is good information to have when I see the dealer the end of this week. I understand that most cars have problems and I knew this when I bought it.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:54 PM

I went and saw my dealer today and he confirmed it needs a new speedo. I asked about the problems with the 03, 04 and it seems the 05's as well. Here stated the same as "slowroll" that they are only covering 03 and 04's. He suggested I call Cadillac customer care, I did and she did state there is a problem with the 05's as well. The class action law suit was setteld by a judge but there were two appeals and these have to be resolved before GM is going to do anything more. Here is the number Cadillac customer care gave me too call (866)514-0405 the website is www.speedometersettlement.com. There is supose to be a decision by Jan. 19th, I am going to wait to find out what is going on.

I must have had the date wrong or they changed it. February 20th.

Last edited by ThePLCman; 02-09-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Wrong date.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:26 AM

I had the date right the first time, the judge must be postponing the decision. Maybe to help GM's bottom line. I have not had any other problems with the ESV so I am just going to get it fixed. Does any one have any good or bad experiences with speedometer shops? I have found several that will warranty their work, some up for two years. They do have the programmer to match the VIN and the calibrate it.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:38 AM

I have this issue also. My car lights also flash on and off while my speedometer is going crazy. This has happened 3 to 5 times in the past week usually on longer trips on the freeway. But this morning on a short 2 mile off freeway trip it is happening again. Now my window won't roll up!! Do you think my window and the electrial issue come from the same problem? Do I need a new cluster? ANy other ideas? I have a '96 STS and it is about 160k miles. So it is not under warranty. Any suggestions where I can get this fixed?

Old 05-14-2009, 01:03 PM

I have the same problem. Theres people on ebay that will fix it for $40-70

I've sent mine in, waiting for it to return

Quick Reply: Speedometer Going Nuts