Cadillac Escalade The full sized sport utility vehicle that has combined the versatility of an SUV with the luxury associated with the Cadillac name

Cold Weather Start

Old 12-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Default Cold Weather Start

I own a 2002 Escalade( 60,000 miles). Has anyone been experiencing cold weather start (tapping noise in engine) when starting you vehicle during cold periods. This starting happening as it starting getting cold. This is the first time this had happen, it last about 45 seconds to a minute or until the engine warms up. I went to a Cadillac dealer yesterday, they say it's a common problem? They say the oil settle in the oil pan and has to warm up? I made a appoitment to have it looked at, just don't want to pay for something or have them go into my engine if there's another fix. Thanks for any advise.[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 12-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Cold Weather Start

almost all vehicles do this...and they are not misleading you...until the oil reaches it proper operating temperature, and everything is properly lubricated, you will hear this clicking noise. however,if you live somewhere that is VERY cold, i would suggest a block heater.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:04 AM

I am curous as to what type & viscosity oil are you using?
What are your cold weather temps?
Let me hear more about this.
Your dealer's techs should be able to advise.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Administrator

the recommended oil weight should cover most normal cold climates...unless he took it to a shop and they threw something in...which shops have been known to do..[:@]

Old 02-18-2007, 12:49 AM

I was out for a few beers and met a Cadillac Mechanic at Eagle Ridge GM, that was a problem with 6litres, he actually found out the problem which is the timing belt chain, it will not affect performance or damage anything, just a glitch, and like the others in this post stated once the oil temp is hot, it is less noticeable, it even happens with the Escalade 2007.
Just the nature of the beast I guess.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

The block heater will help even if it is a design issue. Needs proper weight oil too. As Burnaby will know we have to deal with many cold weather conditions north of the 49th. Sometimes it gets so cold here that if your oil is too old and thick it drags the battery down so you can't even start. An oil change and a battery recharge and Bob's your uncle. The horn on my Deville won't work until it is warm for Pete's sake. I don't like going out in the cold so imagine how you vehicle feels, it's outside all of the time.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

way too late for you, but maybe others can benefit. i'm not a promoter
of syntethic oil but this issue of noisy lifters seems to comes up in many N*'s
as a common annoyance and a solution seems to be changing to syntethic oil
or as Katz said, let her warm up a bit.

not really know what a "cold start" is in this casemeans here.
where i used to live, it could get down to -10F,
where i live now it can get down to +45F
i see the same issue regardless of temp being -10F or +45F.

ORIGINAL: TonesDaOne

I own a 2002 Escalade( 60,000 miles). Has anyone been experiencing cold weather start (tapping noise in engine) when starting you vehicle during cold periods. This starting happening as it starting getting cold. This is the first time this had happen, it last about 45 seconds to a minute or until the engine warms up. I went to a Cadillac dealer yesterday, they say it's a common problem? They say the oil settle in the oil pan and has to warm up? I made a appoitment to have it looked at, just don't want to pay for something or have them go into my engine if there's another fix. Thanks for any advise.[sm=bangbang.gif]