Cadillac Escalade The full sized sport utility vehicle that has combined the versatility of an SUV with the luxury associated with the Cadillac name

Cadillac Escalade EXT 2002 HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Question Cadillac Escalade EXT 2002 HELP PLEASE!

I'm having issues with the steering.

Took it to mechanic and they changed,
-Upper control arm
-Pitman Arm
-Idler Arm
-Inner Tie Rod
-Outer Tie Rod
and the truck was aligned.

It still pulls right, not as much as before but still pulls. And it squeals more than before.

What is going on? what can I do to fix this!?
It all cost me a pretty penny to fix too!

Old 02-04-2012, 08:17 PM

Tires and breaks are one year old

They said my steering gear box needs replacement, the steering has about 1inc in play also.

This is the second time its aligned in two months.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:56 PM

That's a lot of components replaced in the front end. What was the reason you had these components replaced? How many miles on the XT? Is it a 4x4? When did you notice it starting to pull right(i.e., after new brakes or new tires)? Does it pull right driving with or without brakes applied?

If you noticed it after new tires were put on it might be a bad tire. Try switching or rotating the tires and check for pulling.
If it was after brakes were installed it possibly could be a caliper piston not releasing all the way.

Is your mechanic a GM trained mechanic?

Old 02-04-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Earth Rider
That's a lot of components replaced in the front end. What was the reason you had these components replaced? How many miles on the XT? Is it a 4x4? When did you notice it starting to pull right(i.e., after new brakes or new tires)? Does it pull right driving with or without brakes applied?

If you noticed it after new tires were put on it might be a bad tire. Try switching or rotating the tires and check for pulling.
If it was after brakes were installed it possibly could be a caliper piston not releasing all the way.

Is your mechanic a GM trained mechanic?
The reason according to the mechanic is because they were bent. It has 130k miles. Its not 4x4 it's all wheel drive. It pulled right after 8 months of both parts being replaced. It pulls right while driving on a straight rode.

Last edited by SFCAV; 02-04-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:10 AM

SF, I am confused, what was bent? Upper control arm, Pitman Arm, Idler Arm, Inner Tie Rod, Outer Tie Rod all of these?

Are you saying that the truck started pulling 8 months after everything was replaced?

1" of play in the wheel is an aweful lot of play!

With the help of someone, can you get under the vehicle (not running) and have a looksie at all the front end parts while a friend rocks the steering wheel back and forth?

I know with 150k on our '05 ESV the Pitman and Idler Arm boots are cracked but show no play in them, I check them monthly and grease well.