Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

Starting disabled due to theft sysytem remove ignition key

Old 04-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Default Starting disabled due to theft sysytem remove ignition key

Hey Everyone,
I hope someone out there can help me with this problem I ma having, I have a 1996 eldorado ETC and lately I began having starting issues related to the battery cables "I think". If I twisted them just right the car would start and all wasell for a while and then it started doing the same thing.Todayi took off the battery cables and cleaned and then reattached them and tried to start the engine. What came up was a message that says starting disabled due to theft system, remove ignition key. I did as it said and looked up the message in my owners manuel. Here it says that the system senses that an improper ignitionkey is being used to start the car. This is not true Iam using the one and only key I have for the ignition. I cleaned the key as suggested and tried again and continue to get the same message. The manuel also says that I should remove the key and wait for DIC to display wait 3 minutes and then it should count down until the DIC says Start Car. This also did not occur. Please any ideas onwhat is wrong? Could it be the battery is too low and causing weird codes? Thanks, Jon

Old 04-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Default RE: Starting disabled due to theft sysytem remove ignition key

When you attempt to start your car, watch the "SECURITY" indicator light; If it flashes, the IPC has detected an open or short in the ignition key resistor input circuit. During this mode of operation the IPC will not start the system disable timer.

According to your description, this must be a case. It means that the IPC could not read any meaningful resistance (it was either close to zero/short or infinity/open) and does not even know if the key is the right one, indicating that either the key's resistor pellet is fubar, or that the "reader" in the ignition switch has problems.

It could be a simple coincidence that the key-switch duo finally gave up the ghost after you had cleaned the battery connections.

P.S.: I would not be able to sleep well knowing that I don't have a spare key...

Old 04-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Default RE: Starting disabled due to theft sysytem remove ignition key

To your follow-up email...

No, the key does not have to be in the ignition when you reconnect the battery. It seems that your car's IPC sees either a short or an open in place of the key's resistor pellet.

First, I'd get a new key from the dealer (they can "read" the resistance of your old key and fix you up with an identical). If the new key works, case closed. If not, the problem is likely in the Steering Column Lock Cylinder which has a set of electrical terminals which supposed to contact the key's resistor. You can try spraying in some electrical contact cleaner, but if the problem is mechanical in nature, you'll likely have to replace the lock cylinder. In this latter case you must obtain a matching set of keys with the right resistor (and, you end up with two extra keys that don't work).

Old 10-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Talking Overide the VATS Security System

I have a 1996 Eldorado with this exact same problem. It would not start and had the message
remove Key" but did not have anything about the 3 minute countdown. I followed the instructions on the below website and it worked great!! You can also do youtube searches for more information. My Eldorado starts with no problem now!

Check out this web site. It shows how to overide the security system in your Cadillac.

How to bypass the VATS system in a late model GM vehicle

Old 02-20-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Vista Eldorado
I have a 1996 Eldorado with this exact same problem. It would not start and had the message
remove Key" but did not have anything about the 3 minute countdown. I followed the instructions on the below website and it worked great!! You can also do youtube searches for more information. My Eldorado starts with no problem now!

Check out this web site. It shows how to overide the security system in your Cadillac.

How to bypass the VATS system in a late model GM vehicle
If I'm reading 9.42 from the key the what resistors are needed and what order

Old 02-20-2012, 01:36 PM

I'm getting a 9.42 so with my resistors what order do I go in? 4.7k x2 and? I'm having trouble figuring it out.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Default Resistor Building

Originally Posted by Guillory66
I'm getting a 9.42 so with my resistors what order do I go in? 4.7k x2 and? I'm having trouble figuring it out.

Hello,

All you need to do is to go to Radio Shack and buy the resistors that add up to give you 9.42. If you add what you asked about (4.7 + 2.0= 6.7) and this will not work. I would advise you to buy extra resistors in different amounts so you can build the resistor up to your desired amount of 9.42 (and not have to make extra trips to Radio Shack). When I built mine, the actual resistance of the final string of resistors was not what they added up to on paper. Once I did the initial build, I had to add another small one to get it as close as I could to my resistance number. I would suggest using as few resistors as possible. if you can get a 9.0+ 0.40= 9.40. This should work. If you can find a 0.02 then great, if not I would not worry about it. I does not matter what order you put them in. Once you solder them together, get a final ohm reading, then you can make final adjustments by adding a small resistor.

Let me know if you need anymore assistance. Also, you can do a Youtube search on soldering resistors for instructions.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 AM

I was wrong the 9.42 is my reading from the key, so my next step is to apply to chart which the closer match is a #14 so I need to have 9.530 correct? I have the pack from radio shack so now I just solder till I hit 9.53? And there is no order from largest to smallest when I solder my resistors?

Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 AM

Hello Guillory66,

There is no order for the resistors. Any order you connect them in is fine. I would probably use the resistance number you got off of your keys. If you have two sets of keys you can read the resistance off both of them to be sure they are about the same. Again, I would use the resistance from the keys, since you know this works with the car's computer. If, for some reason it (your resistor) does not work, then you can always try the other number you mentioned and build another resistor. It is easy enough because you will not permanently install the resistor you built until you have tried to start your car. I was surprised at just how easy this was and was also amazed that the car started!!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM

I got a 9.1 and a 400 if I use a 220k would this work? And whill my multi meter say the exact number as the resistor is titled?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting disabled due to theft sysytem remove ignition key