Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

Overheating 1998 Eldorado

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Default Overheating 1998 Eldorado

Hi

I need some help. my friends eldorado was leaking anti-freeze. she took it to someonewho replaced the upper radiator hose and the water pump. the car doesn't leak anti-freeze anymore, but if she drives it more than 15 minutes it over heats. She never had an over heating problem until the water pump and upper hose were replaced. when it's over heating If you open the cap on the overflow tank the anti-freeze comes out under pressure. what i don't understand is that the upper radiator hose going to the thermostat is empty. i disconnected the upper hose and was able to pore in half a gallon of anti-freeze. What would cause the car to over heat and empty the upper hose?

Old 02-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default candidate for hospital burn unit .. RE: Overheating 1998 Eldorado

ORIGINAL: jmmitt

Hi

I need some help. my friends eldorado was leaking anti-freeze. she took it to someonewho replaced the upper radiator hose and the water pump. the car doesn't leak anti-freeze anymore, but if she drives it more than 15 minutes it over heats. She never had an over heating problem until the water pump and upper hose were replaced. when it's over heating If you open the cap on the overflow tank the anti-freeze comes out under pressure. what i don't understand is that the upper radiator hose going to the thermostat is empty. i disconnected the upper hose and was able to pore in half a gallon of anti-freeze. What would cause the car to over heat and empty the upper hose?
When the engine is hot and you open the cap, you are being a dare devil -- DONT DO THAT !!
Worse if the engine is overheating .. DONT DO THAT .. DONT OPEN CAP when HOT unless you like visitors at the local burn unit ! ! !

An engine water pump leaking and the hose being replaced has nothing to do with over heating .. what else was done? --- there are rare cases of defective pumps with backwards impellers, but those are rare ---

what else was done? LOOK on the receipt ...

Old 02-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Default RE: candidate for hospital burn unit .. RE: Overheating 1998 Eldorado

I have been working on cars for 30 years. Opening the cap is dangerousonly ifyou are stupid. You have to let it cool down for 20-30 minutes, as long as its covered when you open it you won't get burned.

The only thing done to the car was the water pump and the Hose. I have installed many water pumps in my life, i would have done this one myself but it didn't look like there was much room to work. I have never seen a water pump that could be installed wrong. Could you explain howthe water pumpcould be installed wrong or backwards?

The motor also has a high pitched noise it didn't have before, for which ihave another posting for help.
I am begining to think the two are related. The high pitched noise coming from the motor could be the water pump impeller installed wrong. I also don't understand how this car could overheat in winter, From what i have read about this car the oil should be able to cool the motor, so i can't understand how it could be overheating. Help.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

I have been working on cars for 30 years. Opening the cap is dangerousonly ifyou are stupid. You have to let it cool down for 20-30 minutes, as long as its covered when you open it you won't get burned.

The only thing done to the car was the water pump and the Hose. I have installed many water pumps in my life, i would have done this one myself but it didn't look like there was much room to work. I have never seen a water pump that could be installed wrong. Could you explain howthe water pumpcould be installed wrong or backwards?

The motor also has a high pitched noise it didn't have before, for which ihave another posting for help.
I am begining to think the two are related. The high pitched noise coming from the motor could be the water pump impeller installed wrong. I also don't understand how this car could overheat in winter, From what i have read about this car the oil should be able to cool the motor, so i can't understand how it could be overheating. Help.

Hi

the burn unit response fit the original comment, there was no mention of
the 20 to 30 min cool down .. no offense, I am sure.

WE MAKE IT A POINT TO WARN ABOUT DANGER when we see one,
or simply think there might be one. we simply like to protect you and the
next guy that may read these postings.
Please dont take it personal.

As you tell by now, we as TECHS dont insult or flame people in this site,
we like it civil and peaceful. At any case, it was simply a CAUTION.

nuff ....

===================

The pump not installed wrong, but MADE wrong. Some of the REM pumps got away with the impeller installed backwards. Havent seen that in a DELCO unit, only the REM parts store units.

other possibilities ..

- thermostat not working or backwards.
- cooling system was not fully filled and there is air in the sytem.
- pump cavitating due to air in the system.

if the car is NOT leaking and the coolant is low, I see two posibilities:
1. system was never filled,
2. coolant is getting past the head gaskets and out the tail pipe.

take your pick ...

Old 02-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Tech Certified Members

Northstar/Aurora V8 has reverse cooling. Coolant enters cylinder heads, thru upper radiator hose and exits block thru thermostat at lower hose, to opposite of what is considered normal. As for overheating is coolant circulating? Does car have heat? What is condition of water drive pulley, tensioner, and belt? Stuck thermostat could be cause.