Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

Now Im pissed.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 03:59 PM
Question Now Im pissed.....

Dont normally get to bent when working on cars but now GM and my Eldorado got me. So I just got it a lil while ago and am going through everything. Found that the radiator needed replacing due to a small crack..ok. So while i have the coolant all flushed out Im gonna change all the hoses as it has 108K on it and its time I think. The hose to the bottom of the res tank and both the hoses from the heater core are a bitch due mostly to GM using these MFing spring clamps. You cant get any sort of pliers or tool on them in that area and if you get one on it they just slip off and the clamp doesn't move. So I got out my Dremel and cut the clamps off. They still hang on even after cutting them! So I cut the last one, bottom hose going to the heater core/firewall and tap it with a screwdiver to break the seal of the hose and what I'm assuming is the plastic nipple on the heater core breaks off too. So now what?? Do I gotta tear apart half the dash to get at the core to replace the broken part? Im so pissed rite now I just closed the garage door and quit! Its easy for a manufacturer to use these cheap *** spring clamps when they are assembling a car but they are hell to deal with down the line when a guy needs to do maintenance. Any help now is appreciated and how to get at the heater core or the nipples that the heater hose connect to at the firewall. By the way its a 99 ETC if it matters.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Default Here are a few pictures....

Some pics of the hose area...

Attached Thumbnails Now Im pissed.....-img01066.jpg   Now Im pissed.....-img01069.jpg   Now Im pissed.....-img01070.jpg   Now Im pissed.....-img01071.jpg  
Old 09-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Tech Certified Members

There are special pliers for this one has a clamp with a cable to made to the plier, Been there. Broke heater core to change hoses. Dash stays in place glove box, programmer and hush panel come out. programmer is mounted on heater core cover. There is likely video on you tube,

Old 09-07-2016, 11:15 PM

I looked on you tube and there's plenty for a DeVille but I didnt see a Eldorado. I also see on Ebay that some heater cores appear to have plastic hose nipples and some appear to be all aluminum. I'd think the aluminum ones are better than the plastic? After I hassled with those dam clamps all day i see now that they have a tool for $35 for them but wonder if they would work in tight spaces??

Old 09-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Tech Certified Members

94-99 deville/concours is the same. the tool using a cable will but its still a poa.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 PM

I got the heater core changed out. Not to bad of a job..Ive done alot worse ones. Was glad to see that the replacement is a all aluminum one and not the cheap plastic side tanks that the nipple broke off of. Thanks for the info!