Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

Eldorado TC 1994 - Buy Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Question Eldorado TC 1994 - Buy Checklist

Hi folks,

i live in Germany and I would like to buy a used Cadillac Eldorado from Feb. 1994. I think its an american model, because it has red indicators.

My question is now, for what I have to look for, if I don't want to buy a pig in a poke? Milage is about 96100 mls. Here you can take a look at the car. Do you know any typical "disease" of this model?

Thank you very much for your help in advanced.

greetz xricer

PS: sorry if my english is not perfect

Old 08-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by xricer
Hi folks,

i live in Germany and I would like to buy a used Cadillac Eldorado from Feb. 1994. I think its an american model, because it has red indicators.

My question is now, for what I have to look for, if I don't want to buy a pig in a poke? Milage is about 96100 mls. Here you can take a look at the car. Do you know any typical "disease" of this model?

Thank you very much for your help in advanced.

greetz xricer

PS: sorry if my english is not perfect

Your English is perfect ... but I cant find the car ...

at that mileage running in the Alps, I would check for headgasket integrity, transmission not slipping, electrics all working, codes, suspension, under carriage rust ....

100,000 miles is not an issue if car was well maintained, coolant changed, brakes flushed, carriage washed ...
that engine is good for 300,000+ IF and IF it it maintained.

the VIN would tell you if it was made for export or domestic use.

Last edited by stomper; 08-18-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:04 PM

Hi stomper,

thank you for these informations. the dealer says, the car was only used in summer. visually it is in good conditions. i didn't saw any rust. can you tell me, where i can find the VIN? is it the numer behind the windscreen? Is there any opportunity to check the number somewhere online?

i also checked the link again and it works fine. maybe you try this link. its also in german but there are some pics.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Certified Members

Hi stomper,

thank you for these informations. the dealer says, the car was only used in summer. visually it is in good conditions. i didn't saw any rust. can you tell me, where i can find the VIN? is it the numer behind the windscreen? Is there any opportunity to check the number somewhere online?

i also checked the link again and it works fine. maybe you try this link. its also in german but there are some pics.
that is the VIN plate on dash behind glass, also on inside of driver side door jamb, also on the TITLE do***ents (title must match dash palte) ...
The VIN; Vehicle Identification Number is what we do all biz with.

post the whole VIN and someone will come and present more details.

you can also run it through CARFAX .. and you will get some details if the car's use in the US if any.
I dont know if CARFAX tracks cars in EU ...

car looks clean on the pictures .. what the dealer says is fine but YOU VERIFY ..
get it on a lift and have it inspected and also the other items I suggested.

Last edited by stomper; 08-18-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Certified Members

Hi stomper,

i hope you didnt saw any rust then you would have holes to fix. haha. just kidding. this Eldorado looks like it was very well maintained. just by looking at the mufflers they usually look rusty and blackish after awhile but not on this car. from what i hear is most people in europe have their cars serviced religously. So if that is the case with this cady i think you found a good one. Check the car fax and get back to us.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:03 AM

ok, the dealer gave me this VIN: 1G6ET129XRU612584. I hope somebody can give me some more informations.

the insurance for the Cadillac is in Germany not so easy, because of the big engine (in Germany is a 3.0L a bigblock ), the manufacture and the year of production. either it's very expensive or not save enough

Old 08-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Certified Members

take that vin and you will have to go on CARFAX and type it in.
This is what i pulled up https://secure.carfax.com/creditCard.cfx this second site says the same thing but is cheaper than CARFAX

https://www.autocheck.com//consumers...ect=noRedirect it says ther are 2 records found on both sites. If you want to see what they are you have to pay. Judging by the car only having two records you may be ok. its probly most likely saying there were two owners of this car. Most of the time if you ask the dealer to supply a carfax for the car you are looking at buying they can do it cheaper than what it cost you. If he doesnt want to then maybe there is a hidden problem and you could bring that up to him. Let him know that you want to purchse this car as long as everything comes out clean. Good luck in your purchase!

Old 08-19-2009, 01:29 PM

thank you but in between I allready checked these internetsites. maybe there is somebody in this forum who could help me out without paying anything that would be very nice.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Certified Members

I tried every where to get free info and all i know is it cost money but like i said earlier most dealer ships have access to this info. They can give you the report at no cost to you. The reason for that is because they also want to know what kind of car they are selling to the consumer. If you let the salesman know you would like more info on this car chances are they will look it up for you and give you the info. this will also let the salesman know that you are serious about buying a car and getting what you pay for and not end up with just some lemon.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

ok, the dealer gave me this VIN: 1G6ET129XRU612584. I hope somebody can give me some more informations.

the insurance for the Cadillac is in Germany not so easy, because of the big engine (in Germany is a 3.0L a bigblock ), the manufacture and the year of production. either it's very expensive or not save enough
here you go .. a VIN DECODER ...

http://www.decodethis.com/

for YOUR CAR ...

http://www.decodethis.com/Default.as...ET129XRU612584

General Information

VIN 1G6ET129XRU612584 VALID
Passengers
Year 1994
Doors
Invoice $35,456.35
Make Cadillac
Manual/Auto Trans no/yes
MSRP $40,990.00
Model Eldorado
Forced Induction No
Delivery $625.00
Trim Touring
FrontWD No
Engine Type 8 Cylinder Engine
Style 2-Door Coupe Touring
RearWD No
Engine Size 4.6L/279 CID
Market 2-door Mid-Size Passenger Car
All WD No
Horsepower
Towing
FourWD No
Torque
Fleet Only No
Stepside No
Fuel Type Gasoline Fuel

Last edited by Stealth; 08-19-2009 at 02:26 PM.