Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

Eldorado Suspension

Old 10-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Default Eldorado Suspension

Hi, I am a newbie to your site. I own a 1997 Eldorado. I have a banging sound comming from the rear of my car. I thought it was the rear shocks. I took it to the mechanic and he replaced all four air struts or shocks whatever they are. $1900.00 later the same problem still exist. I saw them put the new AC Delco shocks in, so I know that I was not taken for a ride. When I turn the key on I can hear the compressor come on for about a second. My car sits at the correct height so it is not bleeding down. Any ideas on what could be causing this noise. Still sounds as if the shocks are dead.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Eldorado Suspension

Check rear control arms and trailing arms. Trailing arms and kunckle are likely cause

Old 10-27-2007, 02:30 PM

I had all bushings replaced. I guess what I omitted to say was that if I go over a depression the car actually bottoms out to the point where my mud guards scrape the road.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Tech Certified Members

Has car been lowered? If rear tires are off the ground can you move them in and out?, tire should only be able to spin.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:48 PM

No. The vehicle has the normal ride height. I checked for play grabbing the wheel @ 6 and 12 o'clock and @ 9 and 3 o'clock. Absolutely no play. Is it possible that the air compressor is bad and not allowing the struts to hold the air pressure? Is there a way for me to bleed the rear struts and see if the air pressure is good enough to raise the car back to the normal height? I heard that the compressor should have been changed when I replaced the struts. It still feels as if I have dead struts. Are my springs no good and the struts are doing all the work? If I turn the ign 'on'the compressor turns on for about ten seconds(if so much) and turns off.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Certified Members

It's hard to say without seeing car.What's in the trunk?Under car there should be a square box with an arm and a link that attaches it to lower control arm. With link disconnected and key in run. Move arm up compressor should come on and raise rear of car 3-5 inches,lowering arm will release air and car should come back down

Old 10-30-2007, 11:01 AM

trini, the knuckle bushings on an Eldorado can not be replaced. You need to replace the entire knuckle assembly. Bad bushings here can cause a banging sound and make the car change rear elevation by going over a bump. It can also feel like the rear end changes direction going over a bump. With the car on the ground, grab the tire at 12 o'clock and try to push and pull it back and forth vigerously. If you feel movement or hear a clunk and bank, you have probably found your problem.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:06 PM

Thanks guys. I will check these ideas out and give you feedback.